cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netapp/NDMP - Create Schedule to Backup Only Most Recent Snapshot?

jeff_stevens
Level 3

Hello,

I'm completely new to Backup Exec 2010.  Is there a way to only backup the most recent snapshots instead of backing up an entire volume?

I saw include/exclude on the job creation windows, but I'm unsure of how to utilize them.

And assuming that will do the trick, how will Backup Exec know to only write the most recent snapshot to tape?

Thanks!

Jeff
3 REPLIES 3

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
You have to select the complete snapshot and you can exclude whatever you want to exclude.The BE doesn't know the most recent snapshot and will backup the complete snapshot folder.

jeff_stevens
Level 3

Is there a way to exclude the entire snapshot folder and just include the "recent" snapshot?  Or maybe have it only backup folders based on date modified?

I know that with NDMP we are looking at volume level, but we'd really like to only spin off recent snapshot to tape for weekly backups and monthly DNDs.

Thanks,

Jeff

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

BE itself has not way to work out the most recent snapshot on the violume it owuld need an outside utility to prove the snapshote name in a way that cna be used to cerate the slecetion list for the NDMP job and you'd almost certainly be looking at 3rd party scripting to call bemcmd (if bemcmd works with NDMP backup selections that is )

You could always create your snapshots with the same name - then BE can just use one selection list - problem is if you want to keep more than one snapshot you'd have to find a way to rename the older ones. Or cerate snapshots with a different name per day and have be jobs cretaed to match the names - kind of depends on yoru snapshot retention needs.

However are you ware that BE asks the Netapp to create a snapshot (if you do a volume level backup) anyway- this might not be useful if you are doing somethign that performs a VSS operation inside the data that is held on the NetApp before requesting the snap as the BE snapshot almost certainly won't trigger VSS.