cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup vs. BE

RodgerH
Level 3
hi guys,

I have been a Backup Exec windows user for years, but were looking into Netbackup for windows, what are the similaritys if any ??

Is netbackup very different or more difficult ??

Rodger

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marksw
Level 5
hi rodger,

The short version is that they both can take backups and restore them again. But they don't have very much else in common.

When we moved from BE to NBU we had to learn a lot. To setup BE and get it to work is very easy, but this is not always the case with NBU.
Personaly I think that NBU is much more easy to use then BE, but you have to get used to it first.

I wouldn't compare BE and NBU. It's two very different worlds. NBU has so many features that a normal BE user would not even dream about.
Performance is also better in NBU. NBU works on almost any platform, at least when we talk about the clients.
Support for libraries and tapedrives a much much better.
NBU can scale to almost any needs you could have.
I have seen people writing about their NBU installation where they have more then 4.000 clients in one NBU complex.

NBU scales from a small installation with one master/media server to any size you can dream of.

NBU is a high end backup tool. It cost more then BE but it's the best tool you can get (except if you need to include IBM mainframes in your complex)

Mark

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Marksw
Level 5
hi rodger,

The short version is that they both can take backups and restore them again. But they don't have very much else in common.

When we moved from BE to NBU we had to learn a lot. To setup BE and get it to work is very easy, but this is not always the case with NBU.
Personaly I think that NBU is much more easy to use then BE, but you have to get used to it first.

I wouldn't compare BE and NBU. It's two very different worlds. NBU has so many features that a normal BE user would not even dream about.
Performance is also better in NBU. NBU works on almost any platform, at least when we talk about the clients.
Support for libraries and tapedrives a much much better.
NBU can scale to almost any needs you could have.
I have seen people writing about their NBU installation where they have more then 4.000 clients in one NBU complex.

NBU scales from a small installation with one master/media server to any size you can dream of.

NBU is a high end backup tool. It cost more then BE but it's the best tool you can get (except if you need to include IBM mainframes in your complex)

Mark