cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netware Agent Loads - High Disk I/O - Then Server Locks Up

Mr_Mister
Level 3

Hi,

I've installed the Netware Agent from BackupExec 12.5.  The agent is Version 9.20.00 from November 29, 2006.  The Netware Server is 6.5SP8 with eDirectory 8.7.3.10SMP.

The Server was recently migrated from old hardware onto a new HP ProLiant DL380 G6.

At first, running BESTART would show the agent loading and the last statement on the screen would be:
"Checking module NCSSDK.NLM for possible update...

Then the HP's Disk I/O would skyrocket and ultimately I'd have to hard reboot the server.

I edited the SMSSTART.NCF file with:
LOAD TSAFS.NLM /NoCachingMode /NoCluster

I'd no longer receive the "Checking module NCSSDK..." but the result was the same.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Mr Mister
6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The agent is Version 9.20.00 from November 29, 2006

This does not sound quite right.  I think this is the BE 9 agent that you are using.  BE 12.5 is not even released in 2006.

You should go to Tools ---> Install agent ...   and push out the Netware agent from your media server to your Netware server. 

Mr_Mister
Level 3
That is the agent that was pushed out from the Backup Exec console...Tools\Install Agent.

Thank you,
Mr Mister

Mr_Mister
Level 3
That is the agent that was pushed out from the Backup Exec console...Tools\Install Agent.

Thank you,
Mr Mister

wincheri
Not applicable

Was this issue ever resolved?  I'm getting the same result using Backup Exec 12.5 and 2010...  Same exact setup on the Novell side.

Thanks,

Eric

smittywitty
Level 3
Hi all - I installed a new Netware 6.5 SP8 server on a brand new HP DL360 G6. Install went OK until I installed the BE remote agents. The BE system is 12.5 Sp1, the netware NLMs are dated November 29, 2006. As soon as I type BESTART on the Netware console, I get pool errors on the SYS volume and the pool is de-activated, requiring a hard reset (power off/on).

We have the same NLMs running just fine on other 6.5 servers, but they are SP7 or earlier and on DL360/380 hardware G5s and earlier.

Obviously a resolution is highly desirable, as we have hardware upgrades planned and Netware SP upgrades to do as well.

Thanks,

Jeff

smittywitty
Level 3
Symantec posted this on April 23rd:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/337032.htm

Essentially, if you install Netware from the ISO CD (rather than from HP's SmartStart) and select the Boot OS to be Netware (rather than DOS), BESTART.NCF will fail because it cannot find the DOS Boot partition. Adding the "-bc:\nwserver" switch to the Load BKUPEXEC command line fixes this.

Hope this helps smiley

Jeff