cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netware incremental or differential always does full backup.

alphayellow
Level 3

I have a Linux box with OES installed. A Netware 6.5 SP8 box and a few Windows boxes all getting backed up.

I noticed that incremental backups are alway large, so I started testing to figure out why.

It appears that the Novell box, running the BackupExec agent always sends a full backup no matter what.

As a test, I created a backup list, then from that list I created a policy with two jobs. One full, and one incremental.

Then I edited the selection list to only some Windows folders. Full worked, incremental (immediately after) was very small... good.

I edited the List to only select a few Linux folders. Again, full worked, incremental was very small.

Finally I edited the list to select some Netware folders, Full worked, incremental is the same size.

Tried modifying the policy to do full-modified time, and Incremental-modified time. Same thing. Full works, incremental same size as full.

In the backup selection list, I SEE the modified time as some date in 1999... UNCHANGED.

I tried the test on Netware using various combinations (modif time, archive bit, incremental, differential)... always the same results. Full and incremental are always the same size... always a full backup.

I need this to work... I'm out of ideas.

4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Sounds like you've gone as far as you can go

I've set the support flag on this thread to draw it to the attention of the Symantec Techs

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Do you have any antivirus software running on the problem server?  AV software sometimes causes the incremental backup to become full.

ltjimster
Level 6

Try running an a new fresh Full backup - Using archive bit (reset achive bit) then the night make a new fresh backup job and as run a incremental - Using Archive bit (reset archive bit), see if that works.

If i add anything new and its on the incremental one to run, it just see's it as a new data to backup and will probably be smaller if it isn't modified next time around.

Thats how i run it mine that and that works fine. monday to thursday incremental then friday a Full and maybe a sunday backup for extra because i overwrite the monday to fridays after a month.

Hope this helps

Thanks

James

alphayellow
Level 3

No Anti-virus running on this Netware server.

"Try running an a new fresh Full backup"

Did you READ my entire question???