cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Acces Problems with Veritas

Kris_Davies
Level 3
Hello,
i am getting problems which i know is todo with my network setup but am looking for any additional answers that might fix this problem once and for all.

firstly this is how my network is setup.

we are using a NAT firewall that has three eternet ports on it, first port is connected to the router providing us an internet connectionthe second and third ones are connected to switchs which host two networks one which is 192.168.0.x for our server systems and the other which is 10.0.0.x for our internal workstations, the firewall handles all the routing between the two ip ranges.

veritas is sitting on a server on the 10.0.0.x range, this allows us to access to backup everything we need to, we access the other servers through \\192.168.0.x in veritas as a use defined option and this works fine

every now and then for no reason and this is the problem i am getting is something like this happens for no reason

Backup- \\192.168.0.5\ The Media Server was unable to connect to Remote Machine 192.168.0.5.
The Media Server will fall back on the local agent to try and complete the operation.
Unable to initialize Remote Agent

i have tried installing the remote agents but it does not list any of the PC`s in the network in veritas that i need (192.168.0.x) because it is only looking on the 10.0.0.x range

is there anyway i can get around this?? also how do i check to see how many of the remote agent licences i am currently using as i know i have 5 but there is nothing in veritas i can see which tells me "presently your using x licences"
3 REPLIES 3

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

As the network has firewall enabled, can you please check if port 10000 is free. It is used by Remote Agent. If it is not free, please do so and check the results.

Also, how many remote machines you are backing up ? Are these servers or workstations ?

If they are workstations, Remote Agent license is not required but it is server then, for each remote server to be backedup needs Remote Agent license.

Kindly update.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Kris_Davies
Level 3
Hello, yes port 10000 is free there is nothing using it and it is not being blocked for any reasons, by the firewall.

In total i am backing up about 5 remote machines and there a mix of windows 2000 server and 2003 server.

there seems to be no reason for this error as i just recently purchased another 3 Remote agent for windows licences to ensure i was over licenced for it.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Add the BE server name and an IP address in the host file on the remote win
dows server and vice versa.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.