cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Backup Exec user - PLEASE HELP!

Doofus1980
Level 4

Hi!

I have been given the task of taking care of backups here at work. I'm a newbie. I have downloaded the backup exec 12.5 manual.pdf and BeAdmin_en.pdf documents and find it very confusing to say the least. It just keeps me running around and skipping to other sections in the manual, "please see" this and this and this....I understand there is a lot of functionality in this software but I only need to use a fraction of that. I have managed to get a daily backup going but I need to expand.

I have loaded 5 tapes into the drive. One to be used as a weekly full backup, one as a daily backup, etc etc.

How do I:

1. Tell the job I've just set up which slot to use, i.e, which tape it must use?

2. Can BE delete the contents from the original folder once I've backed it up?

3. After adding the 4 new tapes I ran my "daily" backup, why did it select the tape in slot 2, and not the tape it used originally?

Thanks for any input, any help will be great! smiley

Albert

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

1 If you want to point your job to specific slot then you need to configure partition which will allow you to configure backup to specific slot in library

for same you can refer admin guide section or you can click on link below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH27909

This is link applicable in case of version 12 too

Thank You

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

1 If you want to point your job to specific slot then you need to configure partition which will allow you to configure backup to specific slot in library

for same you can refer admin guide section or you can click on link below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH27909

This is link applicable in case of version 12 too

Thank You

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Albert

1) If you need to make use of specific slots then you need to create partitions and 

then target the jobs to the desired partition.

2) You need to select archive as the backup method to delete contents after backup.

3) If any of the tape has overwrite protection applied then it will not be used for 

any overwrite operation untill the overwrite protection period has not ended.

May be the tape which was used originally had protection

Doofus1980
Level 4

Wow you guys are quick! :)

Thanks I'll give it a go and let you know!

Thank you so far.

Albert

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

No problem & welcome albert, let us know in case of any other quesiton

Thank You

Doofus1980
Level 4

Thanks guys I got the partition bit to work so far, but will have to wait for the backup to run before I can confirm.

Where do I do this:

2) You need to select archive as the backup method to delete contents after backup.

Thanks for the help so far!

Doofus1980
Level 4

Thanks guys I got the partition bit to work so far, but will have to wait for the backup to run before I can confirm.

Where do I do this:

Thanks for the help so far!

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

In the backup window, click on general. Under backup method select "backup and

delete the files"

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

HI ,

Please go to general & under backup method  & I have attached the jpeg please select the option which is selected by me

Thank You

Doofus1980
Level 4

Oh excellent! That looks about right! Sorry lastly, I want to do one full backup every week, but want to overwrite the data on the tape, where do I select that because I don't seem to have that option, unless i'm doing it wrong.

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

hi ,

First go to media tab in backupexec & configure new media set you can do so by doing right click on media set & make a customized media set of your name as daily media  & like for example as you want to overwrite select overwrite as 0 hours & append has infinite

& then in backup job under device & media select the media set name by you as daily media & it should overwrite the backup job on tape daily

Thank You

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Please mark the post solved if this helps you & do let me know in case of any other questions

Thank You

Doofus1980
Level 4

Thanks for the help guys! :)