cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Backup scenario - opinions please!

gaiex
Level 3
Hello All,

I'm a newbie here and I want to backup my servers in my network but I need some help please.

We upgraded from SBS2000 to EBS2008 system ( managemente server, security server, exchange server+secondary domain controler + SQL server) and a new datacenter with 2003R2 storage server.
We had bought the symantec backup exec 12 for sbs some months before we had to urgently upgrade to EBS2008 and now we realized that the backup exec license is not valid and we need to buy new licenses, and thats why I need your opinions.

My idea is having the management server (+tape) with the new symantec backup exec product I will buy instaled, and it manage all the backups for the other servers including exchange and SQL servers and If it could manage also the backups to some USB discs (2x 2TB) connected to the datacenter server it would be great to.

It's this scenario possible with any backupexec product or what you recommend?

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2

teiva-boy
Level 6
 There should be a crossgrade I think to go from SBS to EBS, if such a version/bundle of BE exists.  Talk to your reseller.

All of what you are thinking of doing is supported today once the licensing is in order...
Make sure you get at least 1yr of maintenance, so that you can get the BE2010 edition as a free upgrade.

gaiex
Level 3
Hi, thanks for the quick reply,

I talked to my reseller, and wasted 1h at phone with Uk phone line support just to know that my product does not have upgrade version, I have to buy all new software (licenses)!
So I was just wondering wich licenses I would need to buy in order to have the sceneraio mentioned working?
I just want some second opinions, don't want to be sold by the reseller...

Thanks