cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Features / Resolved Issues with RALUS 12?

Tom_Kline
Level 2
Can someone please direct me to a technote or knowledgebase article on exactly what (if any) new features or resolved issues are in the RALUS 12 agent?

3 REPLIES 3

jtatum
Level 4
Employee Certified
RALUS 12 primarily adds platform support.  Is there any particular issue you are curious about?

Tom_Kline
Level 2
Specifically I'd like to know about any performance improvements for incremental jobs, if there are any reliances on libc++ libraries like in RALUS11d that caused issues installing on RHEL 5 boxes, etc. 

In general, what do we gain from a feature, enhancment, or bugfix by upgrading to RALUS 12 besides being supported by Symantec and not receiving "completed with exception" job completion status in the software?  I was hoping someone at Symantec had an article detailing the differences between RALUS 11 and RALUS 12.

jtatum
Level 4
Employee Certified
The libc issues you are referencing are caused by RALUS being compiled to work on RHEL 3, 4 and 5.  We can't use the C libraries that ship with RHEL 5 because they aren't available on RHEL 3 or 4.  You can use up2date to install the compatability libraries on RHEL 5 which RALUS depends on.

Without knowing exactly how you are performing your backups, I would guess from your message that you are backing up a Samba share.  This may well be fine for you.  Backups via Samba are actually supported - see the software compatability list.  (http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/295304.htm)  When backing up via Samba, you lose most of the file metadata such as security, ACLs and extended attributes.  You also risk changing non-English filenames due to Samba configuration settings that affect how these filenames are converted to Unicode.  Finally, using RALUS gives you the option to compress and encrypt the backup over the wire.  Backing up via Samba will transfer the data via SMB which is in the clear by default.

Incremental backups using modified time are supported via RALUS.  Were you experiencing performance issues with them?

Finally, none of this is new to RALUS in 12.  This functionality is all present in the 11d RALUS as well.  As far as I know there is no article pertaining to RALUS changes specifically.