cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Implementation of Backup Exec

LHandley
Level 3

I have been using an offsite backup service that was in place before I took this position. I am now rethinking that, and am seriously considering using Backup Exec.

I currently have need to back up data from 3 file servers. Total data size is between 1TB and 2 TB, with moderate growth expected in the near future. My intention is to use external hard drives to hold these data, and have them rotated to an offsite location periodically. I have a server that will no longer be needed in its current role that I can repurpose.

Since I'm not at all familiar with Backup Exec (but it comes recommended) I'm wondering if someone can suggest how I need to configure this. I'm prepared to implement the 60-day trial of Backup Exec, but what I'm wondering is exactly what product(s) I need. Am I correct in assuming I need the Backup Exec software to run on the "Backup Server" and then an agent running on each of the servers containing the data to be backed up?

I have all Windows OSes here, and I'd also like to know if I should go with the Standard or Premium version of Backup Exec SBS.

Again, my experience with/knowedge of Backup Exec is nil, so any information will help. If more detail is required, I can provide that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

For BE 2012, there is only one version of the SBE edition and you don't need to have a SBS OS to run that edition.  See the licencing guide here

2012 Portfolio Licensing Guide

You can download the trialware from www.backupexec.com

When you want to do your test, use a physical server.  It does not need to be a very powerful machine.

Do check the SCL and HCL to make sure that everything is compatible

BE 2012 SCL

BE 2012 HCL

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Don't use SBS unless you actually have SBS servers. Go for the full-blown version of BE 2012 with SP1a installed!

Licenses would be as follows:

1. Media server license

2. Remote Agent for Windows Servers license PER server you want backed up. This assumes they are all infrastructure servers like DCs, print servers or file servers. Any server running an application needs that application's license (ie. Exchange), but the application license basicaly ships with RAWS so no need for it then. You simply push-install the agent from the media server.

That amount of data is quite a lot, so doing a FULL backup might not be optimal. Better to look at Incremental or Differential backups if you're not rotating those drives daily for instance. Below is a link on how you can rotate external HDDs.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-rotate-external-harddisks

Lastly, check the link below for a list of BE 2012 best practices...go through them and make yourself aware of the sections that you'd need:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO74626

THanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

For BE 2012, there is only one version of the SBE edition and you don't need to have a SBS OS to run that edition.  See the licencing guide here

2012 Portfolio Licensing Guide

You can download the trialware from www.backupexec.com

When you want to do your test, use a physical server.  It does not need to be a very powerful machine.

Do check the SCL and HCL to make sure that everything is compatible

BE 2012 SCL

BE 2012 HCL

LHandley
Level 3

Thanks for the info and the links!