cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Install - New to Symantec, From Yosemite - Cant get any media to work!

michaelshow
Level 2
I installed backup exec 2010, setup the remote agents, configured a backup job - and everything is working great.  The only problem is that i cannot get any media to work.  I guess i just need a step by step. 

Heres what i have: 
-Windows Storage Server 2003 SP2
-All my tapes were used in Yosemite backup.
-The tapes are LTO-2, and its a Certance Ultrium 2 drive.
-The long-erase, retention, format, partition, commands are all greyed out.

Heres what i tried:
-I tried inventory, i tried catalog.  It appears as unusable, unknown media. The catalog function keeps prompting me to insert tape '?'.
- I check the forums and have ensured the removable storage service is stopped and disabled.
- I've rebooted since install

Basically, im lost.  I can't format a tape, i can't erase a tape, and i cant use these tapes.  So im dead in the water.

Everythings great with the application, except - i cant see my media!

Any assistance would be great, im pulling whats left of my hair out here.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Try this,

1. Exit Backup Exec
2. Go to the services panel in Windows and stop all the backup exec services.
3. Verify that Removable Storage is started, if it's not start it.
4. Load NTBackup
5. Open Backup.  (The Backup or Restore Wizard starts by default, unless it is disabled.)
6. Click the Advanced Mode link on the Backup or Restore Wizard.
7. On the Restore and Manage Media tab, right-click the tape you want to format in Backup Identification Label.
8. Click Format.

After the tape is done formatting, exit NTBackup, stop the Removable Storage service and start the Backup Exec services.
The tape should not be usable in Backup Exec.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Try this,

1. Exit Backup Exec
2. Go to the services panel in Windows and stop all the backup exec services.
3. Verify that Removable Storage is started, if it's not start it.
4. Load NTBackup
5. Open Backup.  (The Backup or Restore Wizard starts by default, unless it is disabled.)
6. Click the Advanced Mode link on the Backup or Restore Wizard.
7. On the Restore and Manage Media tab, right-click the tape you want to format in Backup Identification Label.
8. Click Format.

After the tape is done formatting, exit NTBackup, stop the Removable Storage service and start the Backup Exec services.
The tape should not be usable in Backup Exec.

michaelshow
Level 2
Thank you for your response.

I followed the procedure outlined, but when there are no tapes listed in the restore and manage media tab in ntbackup. it simply says 'no entries found'.

Any thoughts?

In the meantime, i managed to do a quick erase on one of the tapes in backup exec (by right clicking the device after inventory - note that in the tools menu, quick-erase was still disabled.)

This quick erased the tape and moved it to 'scratch' however, the capacity is listed @ 213GB. Which is how much data was put on it during the last backup by Yosemite backup.  It should be a 200 native/400 max compression tape.

Is this normal? Can I follow this process for my tapes, or do i need a format? Im thinking format.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
doing the quick erase should free up the tape for use.  The total capasity listed won't change until you either do a full erase or completely fill up the tape with a backup.  Right now it's giving an estimate of what it thinks is available on the tape. 

You might want to give a call into support and have one of the support guys walk you through formatting the tapes and making sure everything is setup and working correctly.