Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Install of 9.0

Clayton
Level 3
Hello
Here is the scenario....
Currently I am about to start up on BU Exec 9.0.
I am now running 8.6 on a Win 2000 server.
I have loaded 9.0 on a Win 2003 server.
What do I need to do to transfer all info from the 8.6 install to the newer 9.0 on a different server and regain control of my backups?
I have read the article #260507 and it mentions upgrades to 9.0 but nothing about moving from 8.6 to a 9.0 install.
Does this article also apply in my situation to some degree?
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Uninstall v9.0 on the new server
Delete the existing tape drives from the v8 setup on the old server
Shutdown all BEWS services on the old server
Copy the entire BackupExec tree to the new server (including the \catalogs dir if you have re-directed it
Install v9.0 on the new server, on top of the copied files and it should pick up all the defined media sets, jobs, schedules etc

You will need to (re)run the hardware wizard, and possibley edit all your jobs to point to the tape drive on the new server, depending on how it is named

Clayton
Level 3
There are some holes here....
I have to maintain the 8.6 install until which time I can verify that the 9.0 new server install works....
I do have the option to move the tape device cable back and forth between the two servers since they are in the same cabinet and within the cables reach.
You said uninstall 9.0....
Then you said..copy the 8.6 files...to new server...
Now then, where am I coping the files to?
Does the uninstall of 9.0 maintain the directory structure for the Catalogs and Data directories?
Currently on the new server...9.0 is installed and the tape device and drivers are installed and functional. I have even done a test backup on the server.
Is there a Veritas support document for this situation?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
When you run the uninstall, one of the options ought to be "Program Files Only" If you select this, the directory structure should be left in place., along with any locally create data type files. Delete the MSDE database as well

IF you don't or can't delete the tape drive(s) from the v8 install. They will still show up, as disabled, in the new install, and you will have to do some MSDE diving to remove them.

Clayton
Level 3
OK,
Then let me ask this....
I am about to call Veritas and get the link to download version 10.
Now then, if I were to just flat out treat this as a New install and then set up my servers as I did when I 1st setup 8.6, how can I migrate the catalogs? Can I just copy them over into the new Catalogs directory?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I haven't played with v10 yet, but if they still keep the catalogs in U01 files, shut down both BackupExec systems, copy the U01 files to teh new servr, delete BETOPCAT.IDX and restart v10. All you old tapes should now appear

Prajuctaa_Mulay
Level 4
Hi Clayton,

We apologise for the inconvenience caused because of the delayed response. Please let us know if your issue / problem is resolved so that we can mark this case as ‘assumed answered’ and move it to ‘answered threads’ pool. However, if the issues still persist then refer to the steps mentioned below:

Data from a previous installation of Backup Exec is migrated best by the Setup program, during the upgade process. Copying files from 8.6 to 9.x after installing 9.0 on a machine will get you back only the Catalog info. All other settings of Backup Exec go into the database since the version 9.0 of Backup Exec. So it makes no sense to copy over files such as pvl.mdb.
Catalog info is also present on the tapes - after migrating from 8.x to 9.x or 10.0 tapes can be recataloged & you have the restore selections back. On the contrary, keeping the "Catalogs" folder from a previous version of Backup exec on a machine with Backup Exec 10.0 can result in the services not starting up or Backup Exec GUI crashing or any other unpredictable behaviour. This is due to the fact that the 10.0 version depends a lot on catalogs.
The best way to retain all settings is by doing an upgrade installation of Backup Exec. Database from one version of Backup Exec will not work when exported to a higher version.

Hope that answers your question.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to the ‘answered threads’ pool.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.