cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Installation of B. Exec and BEDB maintenance is failing

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

I  installed B.Exec 2010 SP4 on Windows 2008 Server. SQL sErver 2008 is also installed. The database maintenance has never succeeded; it fails every day.

The error says " Performed database consistency check for BEDB database. Maintenance has failed: 11,"

The reference/fix in the job failure points to article V-287-11 which says to connect to BEDB via OSQL.  I have done so and the output does not indicate any errors as indicated by below.

"CHECKDB found 0 allocation errors and 0 consistency errors in database 'BEDB'. DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator"

BEUtility fails on all efforts including:

1. Repair database - error of "Database repair of server ended with errors"
  2. Dump database - error of "Dump database to disk failed. Database utility for server ended with errors"
  3. Recover database - error of "There is no BEDB.BAK to recover from.

What are my options?

Note: This is a new install. So, if repairing isnt viable....can I create a new one? If yes... Where and HOW? do I get BExec to attach to it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

If this is a new installation, uninstall everything to do with BE including SQL Express.

Once done, reload the application and see if it works. Also make sure that any AV installed is stopped during the installation.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV

if this is a new environment with no data located in the BEDB, then open up BEutility.exe and choose the option:

Drop database and reload from base.

This gives you a new BEDB with no data in it. Make sure you have no job information in the existing BEDB.

Thanks!

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

Thank you for your reply. When I do so, I get the following:

Stopping services for server XYZXYZ completed.
Performing database recovery for BEDB database.
Error: Unable to drop the database.
Database recovery for server XYZXYZ ended with errors.

:(

CraigV

If this is a new installation, uninstall everything to do with BE including SQL Express.

Once done, reload the application and see if it works. Also make sure that any AV installed is stopped during the installation.

Thanks!

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

That is a level of effort I'd like to avoid.

The initial install took quite some time until figured out that a separate install of SQL 2008 (vs. the built in SQL Express with BExec) is what was needed.

Question

Isn't there a way to create a database from withing BExec? Or is the "drop database and reload from base" the method?

If that is the only method, if I create a database in SQL, how do I tell Backup Exec 2010 to use the newly created database?

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

When I dropped the databsae, it removed my BEDB.mdf and BEDB.ldf files.

I did have a copy saved elsewhere. And I was able to succesfully 'attach' the database using SQL Management Studio. However, the BExec Services still won't start.

I am back to the error I got couple weeks ago that prompted the reinstall of BExec  2010. The error in starting Device and media manager is in event log and says "Service terminated with specific error 536928979. Contact vendor....."

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I would follow up on CraigV's advice and do a reinstall...