cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Tape Drive

Gregmfg
Level 4

I am about to install a new tape drive in our HP server running windows server 2003 R2 64 bit.  I am upgrading the tape drive to an LTO4 from an LTO3.  Is there anything important that needs to be consider in this upgrade?  I already know the hardware is comp. with my current setup and with backup exec.  I've never installed a tape drive before so this is pretty new to me.  Can you simply swap the tape drives and go?  Or is this more complicated. 

The instructions that came with the new drive are a little vague in the area of replacing an old drive.  Any help would be great.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You'd do the following:

1. Connect the drive to the SCSI card and restart the server after disconnecting the old drive.

2. Open up BE, and run the Device Configuration Wizard once the server has restarted. This will install the latest DDI drivers you have from within BE itself.

3. If any jobs target the old drive explicitly, you're going to have to retarget them to the new drive.

That's about it really...

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

BE will detect the devcie only if it appears in the Windows Devcie Manager.

Once detected by OS you may run tapeinst.exe to install Symantec drivers.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You'd do the following:

1. Connect the drive to the SCSI card and restart the server after disconnecting the old drive.

2. Open up BE, and run the Device Configuration Wizard once the server has restarted. This will install the latest DDI drivers you have from within BE itself.

3. If any jobs target the old drive explicitly, you're going to have to retarget them to the new drive.

That's about it really...

Thanks!

Gregmfg
Level 4

Thanks for the quick answers I was hoping it was that easy!