cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Tape Drive

Darin_Jorgenson
Level 3
We have recently replaced our tape drive which is a Seagate drive. It is the exact same model of drive that was in it before. Since putting it in we have not been able to get successful backups. Even though the data is backed up, it reports the following error in the log:
Job ended: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 at 2:20:39 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error code: a00084ca HEX
Final error description: The data being read from the media is inconsistent.

Final error category: Backup Media Errors

We have tried relabeling the tapes, erasing the tapes, we've run the veritas tapedriver installation program to use the veritas drivers.

What else could we do to get rid of this message so that they report as successful?

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

1. Clean the tape drive.
2. Attempt to use another tape, or attempt to use the same tape in a different drive
3. Check the Event Viewer for additional errors, and resolve any Event IDs related to the hardware (tape drive or controller). Please refer to the Related Documents section of this article for more details.
4. Make sure the hardware devices are at the latest firmware and driver level.

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Darin_Jorgenson
Level 3
We have tried different tapes as we have a 5 day rotation and it happens for each.

App Log Shows:
Event ID:34113 error
Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "SERVER") (Job: "Backup 0009") Backup 0009 -- The job failed with the following error: The data being read from the media is inconsistent.

and also

App Log:
Event ID:57612
A format inconsistency was encountered during a tape read operation on device "SEAGATE 3".

We did uncheck the "write checksums to media" option and it was successful after that, but i hesitate to leave it that way because, as i understand, that is the check to verify that the data will be restorable after backup.

Thanks for you help, i will be running the cleaning tape tonight and see the results tomorrow.
Any other assistance would be great.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you shut down all BackupExec services, does NTBackup run without problems?

Have you run any manufacturer diagnostics?

Have you tried manufacturer drivers rather than the Veritas drivers?

Darin_Jorgenson
Level 3
Backup was successful last night again without the "write checksum....." option turned on, but i am a little worried about not having that turned on.

I have not tried nt yet, but i will try and download some seagate diagnostic tools and see if they find anything.

We originally had the OS drivers in and i updated them to the veritas drivers.

Thanks

Darin_Jorgenson
Level 3
Backups seem to be running fine without the "write checksum" option turned on.
Is it OK to leave it like that or should that always be on?

I ask because i'm having problems finding a diagnostic tool for the drive

Thanks

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

This option should be checked.

The Write checksums to media option is selected as a default backup option, checksums are calculated for each data stream written to tape or disk, and then written in a separate stream immediately following the data stream.

During a verify job operation, Backup Exec reads the data stream and re-calculates the check sums and compares it with what is written in the media.
Backup Exec does not compare the files on the tape or backup to disk folder with the files on the hard disk. Instead, it performs a Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) verification of the data on the backup media. A CRC performs a mathematical calculation on a stream of data and returns a number that represents the content and organization of that data and uniquely identifies this data stream.

This CRC verification ensures the data was stored correctly and can be re-read.

As additional information please see the technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/267554

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.