cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Tape not being seen in Drive

EEGIT
Level 3

Hi Guys,

When I put a new tape in to a single Quantum tape drive it is not being seen. If I put a used tape in it is still not being seen.

If I restart the BE 2012 services the tapes are being seen.

I have even tried a inventory but it doesn't work as it says there is no media inserted.

I have another server with a Quantum drive that I don't have an issue with this.

How do I get this tape drive to see media when it is inserted?

John.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

1 First of all BE 2012 should be on sp1a with 3 updates so check again what updates you have installed for same
2 To install latest symantec drivers please check link below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH17931

3 Once done do a power cycle but powering off the server and library & then power on the rape drive first and wait for it to intialize and then power on the media server finally

Thanks

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Please ensure BE 2012 is fully patched with sp1a and other updates , in device manager ensure tape drive is using latest symantec drivers

If all this is set up then use the h/w tool for the tape drive having issue and try to see from there if you are able to scan and perform read or write operation

Thanks

EEGIT
Level 3

Hi Sameer,

The tape drive is using the Quantum tape driver, how do I get the Symantec one?

I have Version 14 Rec 1798 installed. Checked Live UPdate and no updates available.

John.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

1 First of all BE 2012 should be on sp1a with 3 updates so check again what updates you have installed for same
2 To install latest symantec drivers please check link below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH17931

3 Once done do a power cycle but powering off the server and library & then power on the rape drive first and wait for it to intialize and then power on the media server finally

Thanks

EEGIT
Level 3

I have installed the Symantec tape driver, I am now verifying the SP1a and the the three updates.

The driver install requires a restart which I will do tonight.

John.

EEGIT
Level 3

OK I am now getting closer.

Now when I put in a tape I just do an inventory but surely it should automatically pick up new tapes inserted.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Not sure what you want to say ,but yes whenever put a new tape in do inventory for BE

Thanks

EEGIT
Level 3

In my other server I don't have to do that it auto recognises a new tape!!!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you are using barcode labels and you import a tape, you don't need to do any inventory.