cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New backupexec server

Robert_Scheerho
Level 3
Hallo guys,

Does anyone know if it's possible to migrate a backupexec 9.1 db to a backupexec 10.0 db?

We have an old server that will be replace by a new one. The old server runs backupexec 9.1. The new server runs Backupexec 10.0 + sp1 + sp2.

But all the jobs, catalog, media groups are on the old server. And I want to move then to the new server. I have tried to copy the *.mdf and *.ldf file and load then in the desktop sql.. But when I try to start backup exec I get an event log error
57802. And I�m not able to start the backupexec services.

I have tried to logon as domain admin, local, backup user.

I also tried the beulit.exe tool. but when i copy the db and restore it on the new server i get the same error 57802. And backupexec says something about the version mis match..

Nothing seems to be working....

So it seems like I have to create the jobs media sets, file list manually.

Or does any one know if it is possible?

Thanks for you help...

Robert
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Is v10 already installed and running? Can you replace everything on the new system?

You could setup a workstation, install v9.1 on it in demo mode, then migrate your install to it per the TechNote

Then upgrade to v10 (also in demo) then migrate that to your new v10 server. You'll then need to enter your v10 serial(s) with the serials wizard.

remember to remove BackupExec from the workstation when the new server is up and running.

Robert_Scheerho
Level 3
Hi Ken,

The backup exec 10 server is already installed on the server.
But it' s not yet in production.

So if I understand it right. The only way is to install backup exec 9.1 on the new server. Move the db from the old server to the new server. Then upgrade 9.1 to backup exec 10.

Right?

mmmuuhhh That sucks...

Is there no other way?

I have found this article:

http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?messageID=4422088秈

Hopefully it will work..

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Hello,

Please update us about the satus of this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Robert_Scheerho
Level 3
The problem is solved.

I have unstalled backupexec 10 and installed 9.1. Then i moved the database to the new server with backupexe 9.1. copied the reg file "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\" to the new server. Reboot server. Now you can load the database from the old server.

If all is working Ok. Upgrate to 10.0.