cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fresh install BE2010 r3, inventory new tape recognised as retired media , media type blank

ffy789
Level 2

Heloo

After a fresh install of BE2010 r3 onto new 2008 r2,

This issue am faced with, tape drive used HP autoloader..1/8 , LTO-4

Chronology:-

Create new media set

Create partitions

Create backup jobs full backup daily for 7 days

Load tapes previously used in old server ...

ran inventory, when its finish, BE recognised all as retired media.

We the decided to associate each retired media into the newly created media set

ran inventory again..after that ( confirmed during this inventory... tapes being loaded from each slot ..  thats fine)

result :- most of it unknown but when click on the media .. its attributes  "media type: either blank or "***" with date creation 12/30/1899

while theres one media attribute .. media type "blank" media set retired media...

Only one tape got configured as media type blank with media set friday full backup...

What is the sequence next , did miss any ?  how to drill and get to the bottom of this mix inventory result?

catalog or import tape ? 

Am interested to provision these tapes like a brand new tape..

Thank you very much for any help

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

The media type should not be *** or blank.  The media type should be "LTO" for both the media and for the tape drive.

What is the media type showing for your tape drive?  If that is anything other than LTO, that is what we should focus on first as your hardware isn't being recognized properly.

Can you post your adamm.log?

Is this same HP 1/8 LTO4 loader the same one you used on the old BE server?  If not, what loader and tape drive did you use there? 

What generation is your media?  (I am assuming it is LTO3 or LTO4)?

Can BE erase a media or does that erase job fail?  if it fails, what is the error?

View solution in original post

ffy789
Level 2

Hey Larry & PKH

Thank you for you inputs..

On Devices tab :  Tape Drive: It shows LTO,

Yes it is same autoloader used previously on win2003

Yes Physical Tape use: LTO-4 Ultrium RW

Yes manage to run erase media quick on slot 3, its a sucess.. ( Now slot 3 became scracth media , with BE own labeled media & its LTO as the media type.

Ran erase media quick on each slot, All same result .. excellent..

Now running first backup job.. and look okay..

Q1: I presume different between quick erase & long erase usage would be for tapes with data & without ?

Q2: I set on tools -->options --> backup : Compression type: Hardware if not available none

how to ensure we get 3:2:1 Compression or 2:1 ?

Q3: Appreciate you can share any of interest on adamm.log

Thanks PKH, and Larry for much needed help.. I'll update once the backup job is done..

Thank You

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

The media type should not be *** or blank.  The media type should be "LTO" for both the media and for the tape drive.

What is the media type showing for your tape drive?  If that is anything other than LTO, that is what we should focus on first as your hardware isn't being recognized properly.

Can you post your adamm.log?

Is this same HP 1/8 LTO4 loader the same one you used on the old BE server?  If not, what loader and tape drive did you use there? 

What generation is your media?  (I am assuming it is LTO3 or LTO4)?

Can BE erase a media or does that erase job fail?  if it fails, what is the error?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Are you using barcode labels? If so, try scanning the library.

Did you inventory the whole library or a partition?

ffy789
Level 2

Hey Larry & PKH

Thank you for you inputs..

On Devices tab :  Tape Drive: It shows LTO,

Yes it is same autoloader used previously on win2003

Yes Physical Tape use: LTO-4 Ultrium RW

Yes manage to run erase media quick on slot 3, its a sucess.. ( Now slot 3 became scracth media , with BE own labeled media & its LTO as the media type.

Ran erase media quick on each slot, All same result .. excellent..

Now running first backup job.. and look okay..

Q1: I presume different between quick erase & long erase usage would be for tapes with data & without ?

Q2: I set on tools -->options --> backup : Compression type: Hardware if not available none

how to ensure we get 3:2:1 Compression or 2:1 ?

Q3: Appreciate you can share any of interest on adamm.log

Thanks PKH, and Larry for much needed help.. I'll update once the backup job is done..

Thank You

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Q1 - https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH15475.html

Q2 - Can't really control the compression ratio as BE justs sends a command to the tape drive to enable compression. Compression depends upon the type of data being backed up. Some data compress well whereas others do not such as media files, archives etc.

Lastly, We the decided to associate each retired media into the newly created media set

Ideally, one should not be manually associating tapes with a media set. Tapes should be automatically assigned into a media set during a backup job.

ffy789
Level 2

Helo

Larry PKH

Backup runs for two days .. now thank you very much !!