cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New tape drive still old name

billey100
Level 4
Hello everyone, I am new here and new to Veritas coming from an Arcserve background.  I am at a new job and the guy before me replaced a Seagate Drive that was bad with a new Quantum Drive on 3/21/07.  He left and has been gone for several weeks until I came in, the backup has not run correctly since he swapped drives.  When I go into BackupExec 11 on the server the only device listed is the Seagate drive.  I have tried everything I know to disable/enable that drive and get it to recognize the new Quantum.  I think that it is more of a windows issue than Symantec but wanted to run it by everyone.  In the device manager of the server (windows server 2003) it is also listed as the old seagate despite having uninstalled and diasabling the device.  Adding new hardware after I delete the old seagate only installs the seagate all over again.  BackupExec sees the drive and must have enough drivers in common that I can right click the drive and get tapes to eject but the rest of the normal options are greyed out.  Basically it half works, it sees the drive but does not see ant of the tapes that I put in.  Any help would be great.  Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Grab the latest device driver package   http://support.veritas.com/docs/286763

Run it and tell it to remove devices it cannot find, and let it load drivers for the new drive.

Edit the jobs to point to the new device if they are not pointed at "All Pools"

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Ken is correct, but before you do this disable and remove the device from Backup Exec.

Then run the latest drivers.

Patty

billey100
Level 4
Ok I have disabled it and I have right click/deleted it in Backupexec, and now I am downloading the .exe he mentioned I will let you know how it goes.  Thanks for the quick response.

billey100
Level 4
Ken I downloaded that last night and went to install this morning and it says that download is for 64 bit systems, any chance you showed me the wrong link?  I didn't see an option for the 32bit on that page?

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Here is the 32-bit for 6235:

There are no new drivers for 7170 yet, so if that is the version you are on you would just run the tapeinst.exe.

Patty

billey100
Level 4
Ok Patty I have a way bigger problem now, I never got the chance to install the download, instead when I came in on Monday and tried to open the Backup Exec it popped up with a login, which was new, then I noticed that in the bottom left hand corner of the login page it said the services were stopped.  More investigating leads to my icon in my system tray that sqlserver is stopped.  Even more investigating I can't start a single service in my services related to Backup Exec or SQL server. I am guessing that there is no way to open Backup Exec without these services running.  Event log is jammed with corrupt stuff like this below...  What is my best course of action?  Is there anyway to grab the jobs that were in Backup Exec in case I have to reload Backup Exec, b/c I have no idea what was set for the jobs?  Thanks for the help

During redoing of a logged operation in database 'master', an error occurred at log record ID (199:200:5). Typically, the specific failure is previously logged as an error in the Windows Event Log service. Restore the database from a full backup, or repair the database.

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
What you want to do is first see when the last time BEDB was backed up.
You can find this in the Program files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data directory.
Look at the date for the backup.

If it was backed up before the corruption, which is what I would expect.

You can go into BEUtility and reload the DB from a backup, before you do this copy the data folder off so if something does happen you have a copy of the DB.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Patty

billey100
Level 4
Ok so I went there and the BEDB.bak file is from 4/19/07 I am not 100% sure if that is from before the sql crash but my guess would be yes as it wouldn't run if sql was down correct?  If I go into the utility and do a reload from that BEDB.bak file will tha fix my sql issue or do I need to reapir sql first and then do this restore? Also I am assuming you mean the Symantec Backup Exec Remote Agent Utility that I have in my program drop down?  I am not familiar with how to restore through there?

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
I guess my first question is, is this on SQL Server or SQL Express?

If it is on SQL Express, this should resolve the issue.

Open up BEutility.exe, this is found in Program Files \ Symantec \ Backup Exec
Highlight all media servers in the middle
You should see your server on the right panel
Highlight and right click on your server name and select Recover Database
You will make the middle selection "Drop Existing and reload from backup"

Let me know the results.

Patty

billey100
Level 4
I don't believe that it is Express, all the services in my services folder are SQL Server and not express.

billey100
Level 4
I am not sure if it is not express if i was supposed to go into that utility and run the recovery but I did anyway and I get through Performing database recovery and then I get an error The database linkage is bad database recovery for server SRV08041 ended with errors.

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Billy.

I want to make sure you saved your data folder out.

If you did, then recover the database from base, this will be the last option.

Let me know if this works.

Patty

billey100
Level 4
I made a copy and put it on another server, but I tried from the base and got the same error linkage is bad...

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Hi,

Here is a technote that you may want to look into:

Also:

You can try to rebuild the master DB.  I think that will be the easiest fix.

Let me know if this doesn't resolve it.

Patty

billey100
Level 4
Thanks for the help, it seems everything points back to SQL.  I have to figure out what else might be using it and why I have SQL 2000 and 2005 in my programs before I remove it I guess.

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Let me know if I can help.

Patty

billey100
Level 4
I am not familiar with symantec and new at this job did I ever or how do I know if I have any kind of phone support for this product?

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
I sent you a message.
If you respond I can see if I can find out for you.

Patty