cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New tape library

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

We have purchased a new Tape Library (Dell Powervault)

What sequence should be used in terms of:
- plugging in the tape device to the BExec media server
- installing tape device drivers
- installing medium changer.

To expound, Dell says we should turn off media server (Win 2008) before plugging
any cables in. We need to install a new SAS card anyway.

So,
1. Should we install any drivers prior to shutting down or would that be moot since the media server won't detect the tape device until it is plugged in?

2. If the tapeint.exe installs the tape device driver, then where is the "medium changer" driver sourced from?
(I see tech12480 where it says to choose "unknown medium changer".)

thanks.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Personally, I would get the SAS card working with Windows before connecting the tape library.  Yes, it will probably take an extra reboot or two, but could be a much smoother experience.  Make sure you are using a non-RAID SAS HBA.  Get all the latest drivers and firmware stuff.

Power off the server & library, plug in the SAS cable and then power up the library.  Power up the tape library first and let it finish its whole boot cycle so that you know it is ready when the server starts.  This would be especially critical for the first-time device discovery to work properly. 

You generally cannot install drivers for devices that do not exist.  Tapeinst should make sure that the right drivers are bound for the tape drives.  "unknown medium changer" is a microsoft driver.  I think it comes with Windows, but if you already have BE installed, then you should have it either way.

View solution in original post

Adonis_Manansal
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi Craig,

Yes, LEO relates directly to tape drive. If JustTrying will install the new Dell Tape Libraries as additional tape library to their current Backup Exec Environment (with existing Tape libraries), they need to purchased additional LEO license. Now, if they will just replaced their old Tape Library (if available) with the new Dell Tape Library, they don't need to purchase additional LEO license.

From BE15 licensing Guide:

LEO - Licensed per Tape Device - Provides support for additional drives in a multi-drive tape-library, auto-loader or virtual tape library (VTL). The first library-based drive is included with backup Exec Server. Each subsequent drive after the first requires an additional LEO per drive.

Peace :)

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I think you need a LEO if you have 2 tape drives in your PowerVault tape library.

The first library-based drive is included with backup Exec Server. Each subsequent drive after the first requires an additional LEO per drive.

7 REPLIES 7

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Personally, I would get the SAS card working with Windows before connecting the tape library.  Yes, it will probably take an extra reboot or two, but could be a much smoother experience.  Make sure you are using a non-RAID SAS HBA.  Get all the latest drivers and firmware stuff.

Power off the server & library, plug in the SAS cable and then power up the library.  Power up the tape library first and let it finish its whole boot cycle so that you know it is ready when the server starts.  This would be especially critical for the first-time device discovery to work properly. 

You generally cannot install drivers for devices that do not exist.  Tapeinst should make sure that the right drivers are bound for the tape drives.  "unknown medium changer" is a microsoft driver.  I think it comes with Windows, but if you already have BE installed, then you should have it either way.

Adonis_Manansal
Level 6

Larry is correct.

Also, take note of your Backup Exec licenses. In your current Backup Exec, do you have an existing Tape Library installed? If yes, do you plan to remove it or just add the new Dell Tape Library?

FYI, Backup Exec server license comes with 1 Backup Exec Library Expansion Option license. If you have more than one tape drive, you need to purchase additional Backup Exec Library Expansion Option (license per number of additional tape drives).

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...that LEO relates directly to a tape library AFAIK. I don't think it extends to multiple tape libraries with a single drive, but would be interesting to see what the licensing guide says.

Thanks!

Adonis_Manansal
Level 6

Hi Craig,

Yes, LEO relates directly to tape drive. If JustTrying will install the new Dell Tape Libraries as additional tape library to their current Backup Exec Environment (with existing Tape libraries), they need to purchased additional LEO license. Now, if they will just replaced their old Tape Library (if available) with the new Dell Tape Library, they don't need to purchase additional LEO license.

From BE15 licensing Guide:

LEO - Licensed per Tape Device - Provides support for additional drives in a multi-drive tape-library, auto-loader or virtual tape library (VTL). The first library-based drive is included with backup Exec Server. Each subsequent drive after the first requires an additional LEO per drive.

Peace :)

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

Thank you for the good input.

We are replacing the original "failed" tape device. The new replacement has 2 internal drives whereas the "failed" tape device being taken offline had 1.

So, as I am understanding it, as stated above:

"From BE15 licensing Guide:

LEO - Licensed per Tape Device - Provides support for additional drives in a multi-drive tape-library..."

...we should be ok.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I think you need a LEO if you have 2 tape drives in your PowerVault tape library.

The first library-based drive is included with backup Exec Server. Each subsequent drive after the first requires an additional LEO per drive.

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

All good input. Thank you.

I updated the SAS HBA driver. Rebooted. And then the firmware update reported it was at the latest level. So I did not need to do that.

The medium changer "installed" as unknown and B.Exec wizard installed the tape device drivers. Once I restarted the services, BExec saw the new drive and I was off to the races.