cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Backup Exec

Shiva0202
Level 3

Hi All,

I am work on Tivoli Storage Manager backup tool and i am new to Backup exec.

Right i am supporting Backup exec 2010 to one of my customer.

Can someone till tell me how to check the validity of backed up data i.e How many days do we save the backed up data.

6 REPLIES 6

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Retention of backup sets is determined by the Overwrite Protection Period (OPP) of the media set. Check which media set was used in the backup job (this can be checked via the job log) and accordingly one can know the backup set retention.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Another way is to look at the Media tab, there are columns indicating when the media was last used and when it expires

Shiva0202
Level 3

Hi VJware & pkh,

Thanks for ur reply..

I can see the Reuse of the Tape as 1 week

But when i tried to configure a job for restore.. i can see till 15days of backedup data...

and i see Overwrite protection until: Overwritable.. what does this mean

VJware
Level 6

Overwritable means the OPP has expired and the tape can be overwritten by another backup job.

Secondly, OPP starts from the last write to the tape, so 1 week will be in effect from the last backup operation to the tape. Once this period finishes, the tape gets marked overwritable.

Shiva0202
Level 3

Thanks a lot VJware..

So the Particular data will reside on the Tape for 1 Week, then the tape can be overwritten.

I see there is some other data in the same Tape and Overwritable Protection until is overwritable.. This means the particular data is expired and new data can be overwritten.. Am i right?

How can i get the information what data(like file names) is residing on the Tape?

VJware
Level 6

Run a catalog job against the tape and check the restore selections to see what data is present on the tape.

Else, you can run Cat Tools utility - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH136392