cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New user needs help with restore

Kevin_Sio
Level 3

I am using BE 12.5 with a Quantum LTO4 to archive and back up completed video projects.  I can back up without problems, I think.  However, I am having trouble figuring out how to restore.  I just need a simple, non-technical step by step procedure on restoring all the files from a single project.  They would have been backed up under a specific name in the catalog.  This software is probably way to complicated for my simple needs, but it came with the Quantum.  It backs up just fine, it is the restore part I cannot get my head around.  Thanks.  Kevin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Kevin,

Did you ever come right here?

Thanks!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I would strongly recommend you to read the admin guide first. Chapter 13 explains about restoring the data.

You can get it here: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH63215

CraigV

1. Go to the Restores tab, and it will prompt you to use the wizard now, or inthe future. I normally select not to, cancel the restore, and then start it again.

2. Once in the Restore tab, you are able to restore from a media name (if you know it), resource (server name/IP), or selection list. It is best to choose via media name or server name (easiest).

3. If you choose by server name, you're able to browse dates on which backups ran on specific servers. From there, you choose your server in question, and the data and date you want to restore from.

4. By default it will restore the data to the original location if you leave the settings as is, but you are also able to redirect a restore.

Basically, it is as simple as that. The other settings may, or may not be needed!

Kevin_Sio
Level 3

Kiran & Craig

Thanks for the info.  I will look thru the chapter on Restoring.  What I find is that these documents define terms that I do not understand with more terms I do not understand.  I am not a computer idiot and can work my way thru most software.  What I really need is a step by step.  I will run thru the process again using Craig's instructions and see what happens.  Keep in mind that I am not restoring off a "server" but off a tape drive.  This seems to be different.

Kevin

CraigV

Hi,

Nope, not at all. Your source is your tape. Under that setting when restoring, it would list all the backup devices on your media server (so say tape library with drives, dedupe folder, B2D folders etc), and you simply select your source. Yours is the tape drive.

The destination is, by default, the original location, unless you specify a redirected restore to another server/folder.

What terms are you struggling with?

Craig

Kevin_Sio
Level 3

Thanks Craig - I haven't had time to address this since your last posting due to the holidays and other work.  I will be making this a priority to figure out this year.  thanks -Kevin

CraigV

Hi Kevin,

Did you ever come right here?

Thanks!