cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie. Tape spanning issue

Meg_Russell
Level 2

Hi Folks,

VERY newbie user here, trying to set some stuff up in the absence of our regular dba.

Using Backup Exec 12.

I have set up a backup job that will span 2 tapes.

The tapes are brand new (just out of the packaging).  I have inventoried, and labelled the media successfully.  "Week4a" and "Week4b".  Both are in the "scratch media" set and are overwriteable.

The job fills the first tape "Week4a", but when I insert the next tape "Week 4b" BackupExec asks me to "Insert overwriteable media Week4a" which is full of my new backup data!

Have I missed something?
How do I tell BE that I would like to insert a different tape?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Meg
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Yes, for verify, it would require the first tape again, second tape would be needed if the job has that kind of data.

Please mark it a solution, if this solution was useful.
Thanks

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Is the job in verify status, when it asks for the tape? if yes, it really does not need the next tape.

Thanks

Meg_Russell
Level 2

Does it want the first tape back again so that it can write a line to indicate which tape comes next?

That would make sense!

I assumed that it was going to keep writing to that tape.

Excuse my ignorance : {

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Yes, for verify, it would require the first tape again, second tape would be needed if the job has that kind of data.

Please mark it a solution, if this solution was useful.
Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified
For the media set that both tapes belong to, did you set the overwrite protection period to a a period of time?   Otherwise, the tapes can become overwriteable immediately after they are used.

Also, check your Media Management Options (go to Tools ----> Options ----->  Media Management).  If it is set to the second option, Overwrite recyclable media in the media set before overwriting scratch media, then what you are experiencing is as expected.

If the above two conditions are present, your "Week4a" is used and it becomes part of a media.  However, the media set overwrite protection period is set to 0 hours, then it becomes overwriteable immediately.  If your Media Management Option is set to Overwrite recyclable media, then it will be asked for first before "Week4b" tape which is still a scratch tape.

You might want to read the following documents

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/299050.htm

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/192265.htm

which will explain the various media set settings better.

If this clears up the mystery, please mark it as the solution. 

Meg_Russell
Level 2
Yes... verify is turned on so this must be what it was.

The media is overwritable, and the options look for scratch before recyclable media.

Thanks again,
Meg