cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie restore question

Bull21
Level 2

Hi, we are using Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3 on Windows Server 2003 R2.

A scheduled restore job failed after running for almost 2 hours with the following message: "The job failed with the following error: Insufficient disk space."

Although it's quite self-explanatory, the volume that was restoring to as I checked it has 16GB free and there is no single file as big as that in the backup set. This is my first point.

The restore was going to take files from different media sets in different timespans, as I see out of the 3 media sets, only the one failed with the above message, the other two completed successfully.

The first that failed, at the "Restore Set Summary" section of the job log says: "Restored 33739 files in 1069 directories. 1 item was skipped. Processed 82,551,184,870 bytes in [..]"

Now to my question: This means that these were restored anyway or that was supposed to be restored based on the selection but it failed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

That means you restored 33739 files in 1069 directories with 82+ GB processed. This would have been restored up until the failure.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV

Hi,

That means you restored 33739 files in 1069 directories with 82+ GB processed. This would have been restored up until the failure.

Thanks!

Bull21
Level 2

Thanks, Craig!

CraigV

Glad to have helped. Just to add in something extra:

If you are doing a GRT-based restore of an application like Exchange, the default restore location is C:\Temp where you'd need as much free space as the Information Store is big.

If the restore of Exchange failed at a similar byte count as your files, your restore would fail totally...nothing would be available.

Also, restoring data with a failure like you have might mean that data contained on tape after this failure might not be restorable at all. Could be a faulty tape for instance.

Thanks!

Bull21
Level 2

Thanks for the heads-up!

I really find restoring Exchange a bit "scary" to be honest since I'm not a sys admin or such, but had to put on that hat since our sys admin "has left the building" laugh

Hopefully we'll get one soon, who will know how to do this stuff.

Cheers!