cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie - trouble duplicating backups

IT_Amateur
Not applicable

Hello!  I'm trying to set up a backup strategy for the company I work for using Backup Exec 10d but I'm not a proffessional IT guy so please bare with me. There are two server units (both with B.Exec) that need to be backed up.  One unit has a tape drive and we also have 3 USB HD's.  So far I set up a job once on each system that does a full backup to a backup-to-disk folder on the local hard drive.  Then I created a second job on each unit to "duplicate" the full backup to the USB HD which is shared over the network.  I choose "duplicate following a job" and all is well.  So far so good. Lastly, I would like to create a scheduled job on the server with the tape drive, to duplicate the backups from BOTH systems to the tape drive.  The backup-to-disk folders are accessable over the network however I can't seem to figure out how to choose the locations - only backups which are already created.  Is there a way to get it to duplicate the latest backups of both servers to the tape?  Any suggestions on this or the strategy in general would be most appreciated as I am very new to all of this!

Thanks in advance,

John

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Although the B2D folder of your second server is accessible to the first server, the .bkf files in the folder are just files to the first server.  You would need to catalog them on your first server before you can duplicate them to tape.  It is not advisable to just back them up to tape as if they are ordinary files.

St3phan
Level 3

If it is possible to backup both units with one Backup Exec Server ( preferably them with the tape drive), you can duplicate it to tape after your b2d job.

Otherwise you must backup the bkf files again from your disk folder.