cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie trying to move data folder containing XML files

Sunny_Dhillon
Level 3
Ran out of space so had to move the catalogs which I did. Now the data folder has filled up the c drive so I need to move the xml files? Any one know how to do this? and what it will impact if I deleted the XML files?
6 REPLIES 6

Simon_Armstrong
Level 6
The xml files are your backup job log files (aka job history logs). If you open up a backup log it will point to the relevant xml file. If you delete the xml file you'll receive an error whenever you open up the backup log (that points to the xml file you deleted). This is not a big issue.

You can also use the database maintenance tool so it controls all of this for you. Go to "Tools" on the menu bar and select "Options", go down to "Database maintenance". You can configure when data should be purged for the "job history" and "job logs".

Also, can I suggest to use the "summary information only" under the "job logs" section (in options). This will make sure your logs are only small.

Sunny_Dhillon
Level 3
anyway of actually moving the data folder as I have tons of drive space on a different partition

Simon_Armstrong
Level 6
You can try changing the registry setting to point to a different path. It's located in:

LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\Backup Exec\Engine\Misc

I wouldn't recommend changing it though as I haven't tested this (I'll try it out on a test server to see what happens).

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please let us know if the above response has helped you resolve this issue. If the problem persists, do revert.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Sunny_Dhillon
Level 3
is this solution recommended by veritas

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi,

The job logs and job history cannot be moved to a different server or on the same server to a different location. The xml files cannot be moved as they point to the data folder and location cannot be changed.

Do you want to move all jobs to a different server which has Backup exec installed?

If yes, you can follow this document:

How to copy media server configuration to a file and apply the copied media server configuration

http://support.veritas.com/docs/274778

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.