cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Appendable media could be mounted. NAS target

Charlie_Quacken
Not applicable

I am using Backup Exec 2014 with the backups being written a NAS mounted as an iSCSI target.  The job backs up several servers and most of them have the message   "No appendable media could be mounted.   Switching to overwrite operation on scratch media."   I would kind of understand this type of message if I was writing to tape, but not to disk.   Does this indicate some type of corruption to the backup files (*.bkf) themselves?

I almost want to start the whole backup process over with a fresh full backup to disk in a new folder.  Can I rename the BEData folder and create a new one to start a fresh backup file stream?  I would imagine that Backup Exec would get upset if I did this...

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified
It could be a cosmetic thing. Since BE 2012, you cannot append to disk media

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

It does seem cosmetic as suggested by pkh earlier.

Consider updating BE 2014 with SP2 which can be downloaded from - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH225093

Secondly, consider recreating the Disk Storage as well. Delete the Disk Storage from the Backup Exec UI (this will not delete the actual backup sets which are present on disk). Move the existing changer.cfg & folder.cfg files to an alternate location (as they will get recreated later) and recreate the storage from Backup Exec.

Monitor the backups and check if this message still appears or not.