cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Jobs of any kind ever finish....Any help at all would be appreciated.

brider
Level 3
Hi there folks.  I have been struggling with 10d for months and now I have installed 11d and I am running into the same stuff.  If I run an inventory, it never finishes.  If I erase a tape, it never finishes.  If I run a scheduled backup job, it always fails.  Configuration is as follows:

Adaptec 29160 SCSI card
VXA-1U Autoloader
VXA-172 Tape Drive
Windows 2k3 R2 Service Pack 1

The robotic library either says reading or ready after I start something . It never goes back to the VXZ-172 idle state.  If I cancel something, it goes to 99% and just hangs there until I turn off the server, take the library apart, manually eject the tape from the drive and start all over.  I don't know what else to do at this point.  If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you.
2 REPLIES 2

thegoolsby
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello,

Are you getting any hardware errors in your System Event Logs?

When you perform an inventory, do you see a tape actually get pulled from the library loaded into the drive?

Did this hardware ever work with 10.d, or did it work at one time and start failing?

It sounds like you have a hardware issue. Do you have the ability to contact your hardware vendor and have them test the device?

brider
Level 3
Hi Collin.  Thanks very much for your post.  I can't tell you how frustrated I am with this.  I have three sites using identical hardware and all of them work for a few days and then just start failing for weeks.  To answer your questions:

• I am seeing this error in my system logs:

"The device, \Device\Scsi\adpu160m1, did not respond within the timeout period."

Obviously this is pointing ot my SCSI device, Adaptec 29160.  I have the latest drivers and the latest firmware for everything.  This SCSI card is supported by BE11d according to the list.  I don't know a whole lot about SCSI technology so maybe there is something I have to change?  I don't know. 

• Sometimes things like Inventories will work and yes I hear and see the drive being loaded and unloaded and BE does recognize the Inventory.  I

• The hardware worked for about 2 weeks with 10d and then I started this non working cycle of random errors.

I'm running a backup right now and it looks like it is working fine but I can almost guarantee it will malfunction later.

I wasn't really the person that setup and configured these so I was wondering if maybe you could tell me in brief, if i wanted to start from scratch here, how to get things up and running from the start?  I don't think I have a hardware issue because i'm being plagued with this at all my sites, all with the same identical hardware.  Any continued help would be appreciated.  Thanks very much.