cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No More Data is on the Tape Error

Chris_James
Level 3
Does anyone have any ideas on this one?

Running a full daily backup mon-fri of Exchange 2000 and data on an SBS2000 server. Monday nights backup is always successful but the other nights fail with the following error:

Job ended: 18 May 2005 at 03:49:28
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0x450 - No more data is on the tape.

Final error category: Other Errors

Storage device "SEAGATE 1" reported an error on a request to seek to a logical media address.

Error reported:
No more data is on the tape.

At first thought it was a media problem so replaced all the tapes but still had the same problem. Then I used another new tape for the Monday night backup which worked fine and used the original Monday night tape (which works fine on Mondays) for the Tuesday night backup and got the same error again.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Are all jobs the same ie Full/Overwrite, or are some Incr/Append?

you can scan http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/190557.htm for the Veritas troubleshooting guide for this error

Chris_James
Level 3
Hi, thanks for the reply

I only have one recurring job set up which is a full backup and verify

i've installed the latest drivers and patches but they didn't help.
The drive is on it's own Adaptec 29160 controller with the latest BIOS

The backup was working fine for over a year. What I find strange is that Monday night works but the others don't.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Hmm . . . .

Nothing different done on Mondays, no extra system type jobs done the rest of the week?

It may be worth it to create a new job and new selection list, since you seem to have done everything else already.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

What time do you schedule this backup on weekdays? Are there any other backups on tue-fri which are not there on mondays? Currently are you using the same device from mon to fri for this job? Ensure that before the backup, you stop the removable Storage service on the server.

Try the backups on a backup-to disk folder and verify the results. Also check if there are any alerts on tue-fri during or after the backup? Also check for errors in the event viewer. Do elaborate on the above details in order to better understand the problem.

Regards.

Chris_James
Level 3
two event viewer entries:

eventid 57665
Storage device "SEAGATE 1" reported an error on a request to seek to a logical media address.

Error reported:
No more data is on the tape.

eventid 34113
The job failed with the following error: No more data is on the tape.

There is only one job on this server scheduled for 23:00 each week day.

For tonight I have stopped the Removable Storage service and set to manual and created a new job from scratch set to go off at 22:00 instead of 23:00 (in case exchange maintenance is affecting it - this is the same time every night though)

thanks

Chris_James
Level 3
Well last night didn't work again.

Will try the Backup to disk folder idea tonight and let u know

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Thank you for the update. Waiting for the results.

Regards.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Chris_James
Level 3
Ok, ran the Monday night job on the tape successfully as usual.

Set the Tuesday night (which usually fails to tape) to backup to a backup to disk folder and it completed successfully.

I don't like Mondays but it seems the tape drive does. Any suggestions? If its a tape drive problem why would it work consistently on one day and not the rest?

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please try taking two backups in succession using NTBackup and then verify the result.

Please update us on the results.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Chris_James
Level 3
Ok, I have set up ntbackup for tonight and tomorrow night - will get back to you with the results

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

1. After the Monday full backup is finished, on tuesday you are obviously appending tp the media. So please check if the media is appendable.

2. Also check if the tape is full, when you get this error.

3. Please check if there are other media alerts in the alerts tab.

4. Do you have the latest drivers for v9.1 namely :

Title : VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 - Device Driver Installer (20050115) - Includes Tape Driver Release (20041231) and Robotic Library Release (45) (Intel Only)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/273853

5. Update the firmware on the device.

6. If all these dont work power cycle the device to update the ADAMM database in case it has been corrupted :

Title : How to disable, delete, and then again re-enable a device in Backup Exec 9.x

http://support.veritas.com/docs/268626

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.