cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No access to Appliance_Dedupe folder

nightli
Level 2

The D drive on my Backup Exec 3600 appliance has filled up due to internal communication issues at my company and that has led to most of the jobs failing out because of a lack of HD space on the appliance. I have been able to create a little free space on it, around 10GB out of 5.5TB but there is a directory on the drive called "Appliance_Dedupe" that is completely locked from the Windows Explorer. It appears that only the server's system account has access to that directory via process monitoring and I would really like to get in there to see what I eating my HD space.

I understand that the directory is where the deduplication data lives, but I'm trying to figure out if I am locked out for my safety or if the permissiona are messed due to when a previous tech here did a complete factory reset on the device keeping the previous data and left garbage in that directory.  I would like to add an NT account to the access rights to the directory, but it seems that I would have to take ownership of that directory to do so and risk possibly destroying any permissions that are keeping Backup Exec functioning right now.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Some folders and files won't be accessible at all to you, even if you're an admin on the box. They'd only be accessible to the Veritas engineers for troubleshooting purposes.

Chances are good that's where your dedupe data sits. You could try to manually expire the data if you want which should free up some space.

Thanks!

nightli
Level 2

Thank you for the quick response.  Would I see a mostly empty drive if I expired all the backup sets? I guess I will expire most of backup sets and hope that the directory isn't hiding anything I cannot expire from the GUI. 

nightli
Level 2

I got annoyed enough to reboot the server into Safe Mode and I am now exploring the Appliance_Dedupe folder. There isn't anything older than 02 March 2015, which would be around the data of the last server rebuild. However, the D:\Applicance_Dedupe\data folder has data from that date up until now along with the D:\Applicance_Dedupe\history\segments folder. Does anyone what I can delete from these folders to get my backups working again?