cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No backupsets are present in the given Disaster Recovery information file. Provide the correct Disaster Recovery Information file.

jonnwol
Level 3

I have not long started using Backup Exec 2012. I backup 3 physical servers and am currently testing the DR.

Backups from two of the Servers are working fine but I am having an issue with an SBS 2003 Server. I am using Backup Exec Small Business Edition on it and when I try and run the Simplified DR on another Server, the wizard does not read the .DR file correctly.

I get the following message:  "No backupsets are present in the given Disaster Recovery information file. Provide the correct Disaster Recovery Information file."

I have tried creating a brand new, clean .DR file in a new location but this has had no effect.

So far Support have not been of any help, can anyone shed any light on this? Any help would be much appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12

Riyaj_S
Employee Accredited Certified

You may refer to following Technote for more details :

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH179349 (How to perform a disaster recovery of Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2 using Backup Exec 2012.)

Hope this helps.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

How is this document going to solve the user's problem which is related to the creation of the SDR disk?

jonnwol
Level 3

My problem isn't the creation of an SDR disk, the problem is when I run the SDR, the wizard says "No backupsets are present in the given Disaster Recovery information file. Provide the correct Disaster Recovery Information file." when I select the .dr file for my Server.

Please find attached a copy of the working .dr file, which clearly refers to a "backupsetlist" and the non-working dr file that clearly does not relate to any backupsetlist. I believe this is the reason that the SDR wizard cannot find any backupsets from the .dr filewhen I try and run the wizard.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I have not "played" with SDR yet, but based on my IDR experience, when you create the IDR disk it picks up only the latest .dr file.  This .dr will point to the last backup.  If this backup is overwritten, then the .dr file will point to a non-existent backup set.  Could it be that the backup set pointed to by the .dr file in the SDR has been overwritten?

jonnwol
Level 3

Hi,

No thats not the issue. It seems like the .dr file is not pointing to any backup sets at all.

Still not got anywhere with support. The support service has been rather poor to be honest.

Frank_Osborne
Level 3

I've been waiting 5 days for a call back on SDR

jonnwol
Level 3

Frank are you having the exact same issue?

Support have still not resolved this case, given the fact that we are approaching 2 months since I filed it, this is absolutely shocking.

It has now been escalated to the highest possible support level, who have then had to refer it to engineering,  who themselves have no deadline to work to and don't appear to be working up any sweat to get it resolved. I am trying to push my account manager to get them dealing with this in an acceptable professional manner.

The length of time this is going on and support seem happy to leave it going on is really not encouraging me to buy Symantec in the future.

Frank_Osborne
Level 3

My issue started when I couldn't do a SDR over the network without getting a "communications error"

So I tried duplicating a backup set to a portable drive to direct connect it to the server to be restored.

The problem with that approach is when you duplicate a backup set, it creates new B2D files with differen

t numbers that don't match the dr file. I tried renaming the files to match the dr file but the restore failed.

No one has gotten back to me.

Parag_Kavitke
Level 3
Employee

Hello,

Can you please confirm whether the .DR file that was used for recovery was copied from "%system root%\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\SDR\Data"

This file gets updated for all the 'Point-in-time' and 'Duplicate' backup jobs that are completed successfully.

You don't have to rename the duplicate backup sets to match the original ones.

Please let us know if this helps you resolving your issue.

Thanks,

Parag

Frank_Osborne
Level 3

It was not, it came from the alternate location on a server share. I found nothing in the administrators guide about this, how would anyone know?

Frank_Osborne
Level 3

I tested your theory of the dr file being updated when you run a duplicate job, the file is the same as it was 2 days ago when I did the backup of that server. If the file was changed during a duplicate job, wouldn't the modified date change? When I use this dr file in a restore, it referers to the original backup, and not the duplicate.

DanielBickford
Level 6
Employee Certified

jonnwol,

DM me the case number, and I will ensure the right information gets to the right people.  I have a developer ready to look at your debug logs.