cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No clustered Hyper-V VMs showing in selection list

bestseany
Level 3

Hi,

I have a copy of Backup Exec 2014 V-Ray Edition running on Windows Server 2012 R2.

Although it did work fine, I can no longer backup some of my clustered Hyper-V virtual machines. On both of my Hyper-V Server 2012 clusters, the backup selection is empty with no VMs showing. The backup job now fails with:

e000942a - Backup Exec did not find any resources to include in the backup. Check the backup selections for this job to make sure it includes resources that are available for backup.

I've updated Backup Exec to SP1 and have updated the agents, and I've tried rebooting the hosts and removing/reinstalling the agents but it doesn't help. I have a Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 cluster that backs up fine, and all other backup jobs (SQL, file etc) are also working fine.

From the backup selection window, I can see the vhd files, but nothing is showing under the HA Virtual Machine heading. If I browse to the individual hosts, then I can get a list of the files on the local drives, and the system account being used has full admin permissions. I've also tried adding the system account to the cluster permissions and as a Hyper-V administrator on the hosts.

I've run out of things to try now. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

bestseany
Level 3

Just thought I'd update this in case anyone else has the same issue, as I've now found a solution.

I noticed I was also getting an error when trying to access the virtual machines in Hyper-V Manager. It was an error about low memory or disk space.

It turned out to be a problem with McAfee. Just disabling the On-access protection didn't make any difference. I had to completely uninstall VirusScan and remove the ePO agent and reboot before it would work again.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

lmosla
Level 6

Hi,  make sure the remote agent service is started on the VM's. also try running a repair of the Backup Exec installation.

bestseany
Level 3

Just thought I'd update this in case anyone else has the same issue, as I've now found a solution.

I noticed I was also getting an error when trying to access the virtual machines in Hyper-V Manager. It was an error about low memory or disk space.

It turned out to be a problem with McAfee. Just disabling the On-access protection didn't make any difference. I had to completely uninstall VirusScan and remove the ePO agent and reboot before it would work again.

cobaker
Not applicable

I have the same issue but it is not an AV problem and the agent is running on all VM's.

This is a clustered Hyper-v environment.

Update:  VM's do show in the Cluster node but not in the individual cluster hosts.  Maybe that's by design.  (We're just testing the software at this point.)

bestseany
Level 3

The clustered VMs don't show on the individual hosts for me. I assumed this was by design though, as the VMs can obviously move between hosts, which would make a job fail.