cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No easy way of removing backup sets in BE2014

PrisonerZero
Level 3

Hello

Upgraded from Be2012 to Be2014, and absolutely hate there is no way of manually deleting backup sets.

The backup strategy is backup to disk (1 week retention) and immedietly duplicate to tape (4 week retention). The problem I seem to have, is that the expired disk based backup chain thinks the duplicated non expired tape chain is a dependancy, and will not remove itself during the storage grooming process. So the HDD storage is filling up with expired backup chains, that can't be deleted.

I would easily remove them manually if I could, but the that functionality has been removed.

I will try recreating all the jobs, but its a huge nuisance. Has anyone had the same problem?

49 REPLIES 49

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

I am currently looking into this and will get back to the post with what I find out.

Frank_
Level 3

please take a look at comments of another post regarding this bug. SP1 does not not seem to help.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hiya Frank_

SP1 will resolve certain specific DLM issues. In our ongoing investigations, we have found various causes depending upon the environment and setup. I would recommend to log a formal support case so that we can review the logs and find out exactly what the cause in your setup is.

Max_Orlandini
Level 2

Hi VJware,

same problem. I've 4 backup sets which are not deletable, even after SP1 install.

Other solution? suggestions?

Thanks.

Max

warnox
Level 3

The manual deletion is required because you cannot granularly control which expired backup sets are deleted. For some servers you might be required to keep the last backup, while for others this might not be a requirement.

Ticking 'Allow Backup Exec to delete all expired backup sets' makes a global change, which was available in 2012 with a registry change (I believe). This is very much for a 'all or nothing' scenario, therefore we need the 'delete' button back.

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

Try referring to the following thread from Sept 24th, with the information below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/be2014-dlm-not-delete-already-expired-backup-sets

"After reaching out to some internal resources I have been advised that the issue discussed in this forum thread is possibly related to the following tech document: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH218049.

I say “possibly related” because detailed logs would need to be gathered for a precise determination on a per case basis. I would advise opening up a support case and referring to E-Track # 3527967 to confirm this information for your environment. 

Symantec has identified the issue as stated in the tech document above and we are looking into resolving the issue with the next service pack, planned for release in Q4, 2014."

Frank_
Level 3

Hi Laurie,

Do you mean Service pack 1 with hotfix 225092 or do you mean perhaps Service pack 2? Can you be more specific on the planned date?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Checking internally, TECH218049 relates to fixes planned for Backup Exec 2014 SP2. We cannot be specific on the date, although the beta has already taken place

lmosla
Level 6

Hi Frank,

To get the most current updates on this issue your best bet would be to subscribe to the TECH218049 that Laurie Downey referred to.  As Colin explains the fixes in regard to TECH218049 are to be encompassed in the release of Backup Exec 2014 SP2.

isomat
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

For what it is worth, I just installed Service Pack 1 on my Backup Exec 2014 server installation and I was able to select all the expired backup that I want to delete by right-clicking and selecting "Expire". They were all deleted. Also my environment is Windows 2012R2. That should not make any difference but just in case it does.