I am using Backup Exec 2010 R2 since 2012 in my Dell server with Operating system Windows Server 2008 R2. Recently I create Active directory domain server. After successful configuration of domain I realize that my backup job wizard is disconnected from server. I am unable to browse my computer in ‘backup job wizard’ in Backup Exec 2010. I have read couple of forum here to resolve my issue but every time when I go ‘backup job wizard’, it showing error “connection to server failed Hit <F5> to retry”. Now I really could not understand what to do. Really in big trouble..!!
I have tired couple of step described below but not succeed .
Need to good assistance. Advance thanks for appreciation.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Are you getting this on the local server, or on a remote server? If on a remote server, make sure the beremote.exe service is running on the local system account, and not the account used for the BE service account.
Thanks CraigV and Pkh,
I am trying to backup on local server itself (Snap attached here) and it is working fine before I configure DC and my DC is same in my Old OS which is Windows 2008 R2.
1) Did you purchase and install a remote agent licence on the media server?
2) Did you install the remote agent on the new server?
I would suggest that you upgrade to BE 2010 R3 which is the latest version. Your existing licence keys will work. You can download BE 2010 R3 from either the fileconnect site or
After your upgrade, do not forget to run LiveUpdate a couple of time to update it to SP4 and the latest hotfixes.
After you have upgraded to R3 SP4, push out the remote agent again.
Thanks for your valuable Inputs,
(1) I could not get your point that, I open my BE 2010 R3 (local environment) in my windows storage server 2008 R2 then why I need to install remore agent. U can see in before attached snap that I tired to open 'Custom selections' (third option) but in that i could not browse resources of my computer drives likes D:, E:, etc...
(2) I have already update BE 2010 R3.
(Remark: We have no required remote agent at this point of time. I have share my server drive to client PC so they can put data into server and I used BE 2010 R3 for write LTO Tape media.)
I really appreciate your effort to resolve my query but I think there is something misunderstanding to get each other point. Let me discribe clearly,
- I have DELL Storage server NX3100 having Operating system 'Windows Storage Server 2008 R2.
- I have installed Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3 (License) for backup and write LTO tape.
-- I am using Administrator account which is 'domain admin' for default logon 'Backup Symantec Exec 2010 R3.
- Acitve Directory domain created in Dell Storage server and all client PC's connected to server withing same domain (snap attached).
Specific abilities can be blocked by Grooup Policy even when you are using the Domain Admin account and changes to domain/workagroup setups can cause changes to applied Group policies. The screenshot below comes from inside BEUTILITY.exe as it is part of the "Change Service Account" wizard (so is usually the easiest place to look to find the requirements) It lists the main items that might cause your problem - there is however an additional one of Logon as a Batch Job is also important and required.
This makes the full list
I have not tried to uninstalling BE. Should I try uninstalling and then installing ? what is the point i have to keep in mind during that procedure?
No result after uninstalling and reinstalling BE 2010 R3 SP4. Same error display to when try to open Backup Job and browse custom selections.( error: connection with server failed. Hit <F5> to retry.)
Really in big trouble. Could not understand what to do...!!!
Thank you so much pkh,
Problem resolve after u sent these 2 documents, I can browse resorces and see my server drive. Today i can sleep well after a long time.
Thanks again for quick and good support. Really appreciate.
Thanks CraigV and Colin Weaver too.