cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No resources seen after create Active directory domain

Amarish
Level 3

Hello Everyone,

I am using Backup Exec 2010 R2 since 2012 in my Dell server with Operating system Windows Server 2008 R2. Recently I create Active directory domain server. After successful configuration of domain I realize that my backup job wizard is disconnected from server. I am unable to browse my computer in ‘backup job wizard’ in Backup Exec 2010. I have read couple of forum here to resolve my issue but every time when I go ‘backup job wizard’, it showing error “connection to server failed Hit <F5> to retry”. Now I really could not understand what to do. Really in big trouble..!!

I have tired couple of step described below but not succeed .

1. I am using my Administrator account for Backup Exec software.
  2. My Administrator account is default in Backup Exec.
  3. My Administrator account is domain admin.
  4. My all Backup Exec services are running good.
  5. I have also tried Tools --> Backup Exec Services --> Service Credentials, and re-entered my service account information.

Need to good assistance. Advance thanks for appreciation.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Make sure that your BESA conforms to these documents. http://www.veritas.com/docs/000028683 http://www.veritas.com/docs/000008077 In particular, make sure you do the GPO part in the second document

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Are you getting this on the local server, or on a remote server? If on a remote server, make sure the beremote.exe service is running on the local system account, and not the account used for the BE service account.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What is the OS of the new DC?  If it is Server 2012 R2, then it is not supported by BE 2010

Amarish
Level 3

Thanks CraigV and Pkh,

I am trying to backup on local server itself (Snap attached here) and it is working fine before I configure DC and my DC is same in my Old OS which is Windows 2008 R2.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) Did you purchase and install a remote agent licence on the media server?

2) Did you install the remote agent on the new server?

I would suggest that you upgrade to BE 2010 R3 which is the latest version. Your existing licence keys will work.  You can download BE 2010 R3 from either the fileconnect site or

http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.5204_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso

After your upgrade, do not forget to run LiveUpdate a couple of time to update it to SP4 and the latest hotfixes.

After you have upgraded to R3 SP4, push out the remote agent again.

Amarish
Level 3

Hello pkh,

Thanks for your valuable Inputs,

(1) I could not get your point that, I open my BE 2010 R3 (local environment) in my windows storage server 2008 R2 then why I need to install remore agent. U can see in before attached snap that I tired to open 'Custom selections' (third option) but in that i could not browse resources of my computer drives likes D:, E:, etc...

(2) I have already update BE 2010 R3.

(Remark: We have no required remote agent at this point of time. I have share my server drive to client PC so they can put data into server and I used BE 2010 R3 for write LTO Tape media.)

pkh
   VIP    Certified
To backup resources from a server which is not the media server, you need to load the remote agent on that server so that BE can talk to it and backup that server. This is a requirement. Your problem is because you did not load the remote agent on the new DC. Also, on top of loading the remote agent on the remote server, you need to purchase and install a remote agent licence on the media server. Otherwise, after the trial period of 60 days, your backups of the remote server will fail

Amarish
Level 3

Hello pkh,

I really appreciate your effort to resolve my query but I think there is something misunderstanding to get each other point. Let me discribe clearly,

- I have DELL Storage server NX3100 having Operating system 'Windows Storage Server 2008 R2.

- I have installed Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3 (License) for backup and write LTO tape.

-- I am using Administrator account which is 'domain admin' for default logon 'Backup Symantec Exec 2010 R3.

- Acitve Directory domain created in Dell Storage server and all client PC's connected to server withing same domain (snap attached).

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Specific abilities can be blocked by Grooup Policy even when you are using the Domain Admin account and changes to domain/workagroup setups can cause changes to applied Group policies. The screenshot below comes from inside BEUTILITY.exe as it is part of the "Change Service Account" wizard (so is usually the easiest place to look to find the requirements) It lists the main items that might cause your problem - there is however an additional one of Logon as a Batch Job is also important and  required.

This makes the full list

• Log on as a Service
  • Act as Part of the Operating System
  • Create a Token Object
  • Manage Auditing and Security Log
  • Backup Files and Directories
  • Restre Files and Directories
  • Logon as a Batch Job

BE_GPO_Permissions.jpg

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Have you tried uninstalling and then installing BE?

Amarish
Level 3

I have not tried to uninstalling BE. Should I try uninstalling and then installing ? what is the point i have to keep in mind during that procedure?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
This is to start afresh. Note that you would have to recreate your jobs

Amarish
Level 3

No result after uninstalling and reinstalling BE 2010 R3 SP4. Same error display to when try to open Backup Job and browse custom selections.( error: connection with server failed. Hit <F5> to retry.)

Really in big trouble. Could not understand what to do...!!!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Make sure that your BESA conforms to these documents. http://www.veritas.com/docs/000028683 http://www.veritas.com/docs/000008077 In particular, make sure you do the GPO part in the second document

Amarish
Level 3

Thank you so much pkh,

Problem resolve after u sent these 2 documents, I can browse resorces and see my server drive. Today i can sleep well after a long time. 

Thanks again for quick and good support. Really appreciate.

Thanks CraigV and Colin Weaver too.