cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-existent drives shown in "Test/Edit Credentials"

RandomDude
Level 3

I'm running BE 2012  on Windows 2011 SBS to backup up itself and two Hyper-V VMs.  When I go to "Test/Edit Credentials", I see all of the drives, Hyper-V, System State and SQL Server Instance.  Fine, but I also see two other drives that do not exist.  Those two drives do not appear in the Resource listing, just the Test/Edit Credentials listing, and obviously fail every credential test.  (Needless to say, they don't appear in Disk Management either.)

What is the best way to delete these two phantom entries?

Thanks much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It could be that there are still backup sets referring to them.  You can ignore the error messages.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified

These could be utility partitions.  If they are, then they could be ignored.

RandomDude
Level 3

Thanks for the reply, pkh.

If they were utility partitions (or any othe kind of partition, like, oh let's say a *nix partition) they would still show up under Computer Mangement/Storage/Disk Management.  But they don't.  The other give-away that they are not some non-Windows partition is that Backup Exec has drive letters assiged to them (N: and O:).   There are no drives (or shares) mounted as N: or O:, nor has there been in the eight months I've been providing support to these clients.

My guess is that BE was made aware of such drives in it's past and while those drives have since been decommissioned, BE has a loooooong memory and just won't let 'em go!  :D   Somewhere, there's going to be a place where this info is stored that I can go in an extricate it.   But I don't know BE enough to know where that would be.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Post a screenshot of the test credential screen.

RandomDude
Level 3

The server is in the midst of a full backup and thus I can't access the backup configuration pages.   I'll post them tomorrow.  Thanks.

RandomDude
Level 3

Here is a screenshot of the "Test/edit credentials".  Drives N: and O: as well as share SEP.OldData do not exist.  I know that SEP.OldData was a share, but it has not been so for some time.  I assume drives N: and O: existed at one time as well, but have not since I took over support for the clients back in Jan.

credentials.jpg

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It could be that there are still backup sets referring to them.  You can ignore the error messages.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Alternative would be to remove the resource from the Backup & Restore tab and re-add it. However, this will remove the job history logs and will have to recreate the backup job also.

RandomDude
Level 3

@pkh: Thanks, it is entirely possible as I note that there are a couple rather old backup sets.  I guess it just kind of surprised me that the non-existent drives would show up in the selection list for new backups.

Thanks.  I'll continue to ignore them.  This was more of a  house-cleaning issue than a problem.

Cheers.