cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not All Files Backed Up / TrustedInstaller?

Ailios
Level 3

When we backup our Windows 2008 servers, not all of the files are being backed up even though we have it specifically set that way. The trouble appears to be in the way Windows 2008 sets permission on files. The files that are not being backed up do not give full access to the system or main local administrator accounts. Instead, it gives ownership and full access to TrustedInstaller account. This appears to be true of all of my Windows 2008 servers which I'm only now becoming aware of.

As I understand it, I don't want to mess with files owned and controlled by the TrustedInstaller account. My understanding is that the TrustedInstaller is linked to the Windows Modules Installers service.  The Windows Modules Installers service is set to logon as local system. Is that where I need to make a setting change?  One of these is a master domain server so whatever I do I need to do very, very carefully. How do I get a backup of those files?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Backup the System state, then redirect the restore of the system state to a temp folder on the media server, then check to see if these files are in the restored folder structure.

If they are, active file exclusion is probably stopping them from being backed up in the file system backup because they are part of the system state.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Backup the System state, then redirect the restore of the system state to a temp folder on the media server, then check to see if these files are in the restored folder structure.

If they are, active file exclusion is probably stopping them from being backed up in the file system backup because they are part of the system state.

Ailios
Level 3

True, is true. The important files do exist in the system state. The only ones I don't see is c:\boot which I don't think is vital.