cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to restore AD in DSRM mode

Sunny2000
Level 2

Hello,

i am trying to authoritative restore AD on a remote windows 2008 R2 server. If the server, to be restored, is started normally, backup exec could logon with the domain admin credentials. But in this case AD could not be restored. DSRM must be used.

But if the windows 2008 R2 is started in dsrm mode and i try to change the logon account in backup exec to the dsrm administrator account i get an error that the used account is not valid. What is going wrong here?

5 REPLIES 5

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

What format have you used for the new logon account ? Is it similar to .\DSRMuser or any other format ?

Do you receive the error message while creating the new account or while selecting the new account in the restore job or when the restore job actually runs ?

Sunny2000
Level 2

I tried various formats

.\DSRMuser

COMPUTER\DSRMuser

DSRMuser

Every time i test the logon in the restore job i get an error. One time backup exec told me that there is no trusted relationship.

But i can't establish a trusted relationship if the server to be restored is in DSRM Mode.

Prehaps the DSRM Account has not the sufficient rights in the remote agent? How can i check this?

Sunny2000
Level 2

I manged to restore the system state:

I started the Windows Server in DSRM mode, remove the backup agent, install Backup Exec, catalog the backup file and then restore the system state with the given credentials during installation.

Sunny2000
Level 2

After 12GB of restoring an error occured. Some files could not be written. No Job protocol is availible. The canceld job shows 0 bytes restored? I think some parts of windows were replaced which backup exec needs to work correctly.

After starting the DC windows doesn't work anymore.

I think i have to try again with the remote recover. Do the dsrm admin need special rights to do the restore. I have heard about SeBatchLogon, but the right  don't exists in Windows 2008 R2

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

You want to be sure to follow the steps listed within our documentation for Disaster Recovery steps. It is crucial that the steps are followed exactly as they are provided.

Any missed steps will require you to start over, therefore I always advise customers to read through the documentation prior to executing the DR process.

Here is a link to the Disaster Recovery documentation available. Be sure you are following the correct document for your environment.  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH83015