cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to see jobs

zak2011
Level 6

Encountered a strange problem today. When i go to check the jobs related to most of the servers i dont see any jobs though everything was set up. Some of the servers show the jobs. There is some kind of orange icon that keeps flashing saying the query for the Job View failed. Tried restarting the server also but was did not succeed.

Thanks!

20 REPLIES 20

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi zak,

Any AV that might be blocking BE on the media server, and are all the services started up?

You might also want to try a repair of BE through Add/Remove Programs, or reparing the BEDB using BEutility.exe. Lastly, check and make sure the account being used for the BESA account isn't locked out...

Thanks!

zak2011
Level 6

Hi Craig,

There is no AV running on the server.  I tried repairing BE through Add/Remove and also thrugh BE utility. Also checked the BESA account isnt locked. However the  issue remains the same. Is there anything esle i could try?I have an icon that blinks saying ' query for job view failed'

Thanks!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Are the RAWS agents on those servers started and publishing correctly to your media server? Also, remove 1 of the server's RAWS agents and repush the installation.

Thanks!

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

Could you please let me know if it is an upgrade or fresh install?

Also please let me know if you click on calendar are you able to open it

One more thing you can do is when you right click on server & click on edit job & if you change the time for that job to run then you will see that job scheduled again there

Thanks

zak2011
Level 6

Contacted Symantec technincal support and looks like this is a bug in BE2012. They are working on resolving this.

all2surreal
Level 4

I had this problem first about two weeks ago only a couple of days after upgrading from 2012 R3, and then it went away later that same day; don't know how.  Though, last week on Monday it came back like the plague and is not leaving my server.  I have every symptom: jobs gone, can't view calendar, jobs reappear after editing a backup job but then later dissappear.  Everything feels very buggy and drives me crazy. 

Also, another huge bug, since I've updated from 2010 R3, somehow my old jobs still have there "start-no-earlier than" time stuck to it.  So, every weekend so far after updating to 2012 I've missed over twenty servers for their full backup.  I've tried editing the schedule but to no avail.  I'm not sure what's happening to this software and I'm about to uninstall it and reinstall it.  Thanks, Adam.

zak2011
Level 6

Just a note to those who are suffering from this bug in BE2012. The Symantec Technical support has given a tweak to get to see those missing jobs. This tweak works as long as the backup exec console window is open. Once you close it the jobs dissapear and you have to do the same steps again.

1) Right click on each server and click on edit backups.

2)Go to the backup job properties and click Edit and  then click OK and again OK.

I had to do this twice for each server. Somecases only you need to do it once.

Then check if your jobs are there.

Symantec Technical support is working on a fix for this but until then this is one workaround.

Thanks!

DavanW
Level 3

I am experiencing this problem ( I have another thread open with the details of my issue here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/all-my-jobs-disapeared-after-error-message ) and just tried your work-around.

After hitting Edit Backups then selecting all sources, I first get the error:

Unable to retrieve backups: object reference not set to an instance of an object

Immediately followed by the error:

Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection. Paramter name: index

And then the BE application crashes and closes itself.  Upon re-opening the application, I still am missing all my jobs.

Anyone else have better luck?

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

With BE 2012 this is known issue please open up a case with symantec to research this further

Thanks

zak2011
Level 6

Are you getting that message only for a few server backups or for all. The latest update i have received from Symantec is that they are releasing a quick hot fix which is sent to only customers with this issue, and  will not be avaialble through Live Update. It will be avaiable only to those who have registered the case with Symantec. So, my suggestion also would be to register the case with Symantec first.

From what Symantec support mentioned, they said they will be releasing a major hot fix through Live Updare which covers many other issues, after a couple of weeks which may take some time. Once the major hotfix is released the quick hotfix which they sent to you needs to be removed.

Thanks!

all2surreal
Level 4

Zak....what you initially posted back on the 9th, I did that exactly on my own before I knew support said that about the tweak and my jobs stayed up for a week before unexpectantly dissappearing early last week.  I also experience what Davan posted back on the 9th too.  I called support yesterday and logged a case with them.  A technician called me back 4 hours later, but I missed his called.  He emailed me, but is not responding to any of my replies or calls.

zak2011
Level 6

It would better to call the main support no and just tell them you need to follow up with a case. Once you give the case no. tell them its critical and they will escalate it to the appropriate technician. If there is any update i will keep you posted.

Thanks!

zak2011
Level 6

Hi,

Got contacted by Symantec support today. They said they need to edit the Backup Exec database to fix this issue if its urgent and the customer needs something to be done before the hotfix. However,  since he said the hotfix will be out soon, i said that i would wait.  From Symantec recommendation, looks like the jobs which gives the 'Unable to view job query failed'  will have to be recreated anyways as per Symantec recommendation.

The following is the technote describing the problem.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH185878

So the only option i guess is to  install the hotfix and then recreate the problematic jobs so that it does not repeat again.

Thanks!

all2surreal
Level 4

This is a good update.  I hope they have a way for us to find the problematic job.

all2surreal
Level 4

So, late yesterday and early today I received an email update from the technote 185878(http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH185878) that this issue has finally been resolved in a hotfix, which also fixes a laundry list of other problems.  Though, what alarms me is they state if you currently have this issue, which I do, to contact support.  Why should I contact support when this hotfix should have been developed to fix the problem, not just to keep it from happening?

zak2011
Level 6

Yes. Got a call today from Symantec informing about the hotfix. However, the jobs which are affected should be deleted and created again. The hotfix will not take care of the current affected jobs. Its only going to prevent it from happening in the future as per the Symantec technical support.

all2surreal
Level 4

I thought so too.  So, guess we all have to recreate our jobs.  I'm in the middle of doing this and I hope it works.

all2surreal
Level 4

Ok.  So yesterday I installed the hotfix and removed all 76 servers, added them back, and then recreated all their jobs.  My newly created jobs ran last night.  Though, 18 orphaned job also ran and failed saying that the username was incorrect.  I don't care that they failed, but I need to get rid of these old jobs.  Where are these jobs!!!

Chase_Drouillar
Level 4

I've encountered the same problem, and I was told to call symantec support to have them directly removed from the BEDB.