cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not appendable (Media full)

David_37
Level 3
I am running 11D with the HP 1/8 autoloader. I am having an issue similar to many others, but I've not seen a solution for anyone yet, so I thought I'd try a new post and see what happens.
I setup a media set with 0 hours overwrite protection and invite - allow append.

I'm getting some of my tapes (LTO) that show up as No appendable (Media full). Why is this, and how do I fix it?
4 REPLIES 4

modest911
Level 3
You ever find a solution to this answer? I am receiving the same problem -

David_37
Level 3
Sadly, I have not found a solution, so half my backups are failing :(

modest911
Level 3
Man -

Its weird cause the 1 tape (out of many) that I have says its full (okay fine) - But, like you all my settings are to over write - The only difference between you and I is that I have the overwrite time set to 1 hour.

Its kind of funny (well not really) the most important part of "IT" is the back up of data - But, its the most confusing part of it all.

Problems like this make me closer and closer to setting up a NAS/SAN with CDP running and just back up the CDP files - Kind of like backing up VSS files I guess - I hate tape and it might be just about time for me to look at full on disk based solutions/ then like I said backup the image that is created, to tape -

One thing you might try though is deleting your media set and recreating it - I am thinking of deleting my 1 tape that is having problems then re-adding it to my media set -

Good luck

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
If you set a media set to 0 hours overwrite protection, then this media is always overwritable and never appendable.  I would suggest setting a longer overwrite protection period to see if this helps out.

Here is a technote that goes into much more detail about media management.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/192265