cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not enough physical memory to support a deduplication storage folder?

pacmantravis
Level 3

Hello,

We are receiving a device warning within Backup Exec that states the following:

Type Category Message Time Alert Received Job Name Device Name Server Name Source
Warning Device Warning This computer does not have enough physical memory to support a deduplication storage folder.  1.5GB of physical memory is required for each 1TB of deduplication storage, with a minimum requirement of 8GB of physical memory. 10/6/2011 1:02:09 PM     STMBUSRV01 Device

However, the server has 24GB of RAM (running on 2008R2) and the dedupe storage folder is only 9.54TB large.  This would mean that the server would have to have at least 15GB of RAM, correct?

I am not sure why this error is showing up as there is enough RAM on the system -- Also, the system is only using approx 6-8GB of RAM at any given time.

Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you checked below link, it may or may not help

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH162163

teiva-boy
Level 6

I would ignore it.  

pacmantravis
Level 3

Ive installed R3 SP1 and Hotfix 167567 and it still shows the warning.

Are you sure this is okay to ignore?  I don't have many problems with the dedupe engine (other than speed); I was just thinking that if Symantec recommends a certain amount of memory that the program would actually USE a portition of it.

For example, for my setup it recommends 15GB, however, only 6GB is being used on the server.  1.6GB of which is for SPOOLD

teiva-boy
Level 6

It's an informational message, and not detrimental to BE from functioning.  As you said, you have 24GB of RAM, which is more than enough for your purposes and then some.