cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not using proper Network Interface after update

Doug_Peters_2
Level 3
I have been using 10d all along and everything was fine. After downloading the service pack (1 I believe) and installing it, ive been having issues. The install instructions said I would need to re-install any remote agents so I did that

The desired setup:
This is how it was set up and was working fine before i added the service pack.
Every server has two NIC cards. I have one cable running to a gigabit switch (not connected to the actual network) from every server, including the media server. I made all of the 'backup network' connections IP addresses 10.0.0.x
Then I set the Network Interface option in BE to the backup network card on the media server.

This all worked great and kept the BE traffic away from our actual network. however, when afte I did the service pack and agent updates, BE does not use the backup network anymore. It reverted back to using the normal network. I checked the options and the Network Interface is still set to the 'backup network' card.

For some reason, one of the 8 remote agents I have is using the backup network.. the other 7 end up using the normal netwok.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Doug
4 REPLIES 4

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
Same thing happened to me.

When you specify a dedicated backup network on the media server, and then 'push' the remote agents to servers, info about that dedicated network is incorporated into the remote agent install on the servers.

Seems that SP 1 has a bug and the remote agents no longer know about the dedicated backup network.

Try this:

On one of the remote servers, navigate to the 'pgm files\veritas\backup exec\RANT' folder. Run the 'vxmon.exe' pgm.
This puts an icon in the system tray. Right-click and choose 'Options'.
On the 'advertising' tab, enable advertising, enter the (backup network) IP address of your media server. Add it, and apply. Also stop & re-start the 'backup exec remote agent' service.

If it works, you need to do this on each remote agent server.

Cheers

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Doug,

Please let us know if you have tried the suggesstino in the earlier post.

Also let us know if the NIC Cards are set to Auto or to full duplex.

Is it a remote backup? If yes then ensure that the NIC on the remote server and the NIC of the BE server have to be same,as in both need to be Auot or Full Duplex .

==================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Doug_Peters_2
Level 3
Ill give these two things a try and tomorrow morning ill find out if it worked. If so, thanks :)

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Thanks for the update!

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.