cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nothing but problems with this version

Darren_Blacquie
Level 3
Ever since upgrading to 10d I've nothing but problems. The support I'm getting is unsatisfactory also, considering I am paying for premium service.

Failed backup after backup:

Error reported:
Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

This could be caused by either a dirty tape drive, bad media, or a SCSI problem.V-79-57344-34028 - Error reading/writing data from/to the media.

After 8 hours into job 4th tape or 1 hour into job 1st tape...

It's funny everything worked fine prior, my hardware just began to mysteriously die after this upgrade. Here is what has be done, tell me what to do next short of burning the software and going to another vendor.

Hardware:

Powervault 132T LTO2
SCSI Adaptec 39160

1. Tried every SCSI driver available from old to new with WIDE Neg Off/ON
2. Dropped SCSI speeds to 10/20/40/80/160/default
3. ASYNC set
4. updated all firmare and drivers on library tape drive
5. updated software drivers
6. ran repair on software install
7. replaced tapes/cleaned tapes/inventoried tapes

I probably missed some things since this has been going on for over a week. Another thing i find it very odd to find the job pull from a incorrect media set. Better yet write not appendable (marker not set) when I overwrite all tapes.
17 REPLIES 17

Darren_Blacquie
Level 3
before someone answers me yes tape drive has be cleaned over a dozen times with 2 different head cleaners

Kevin_Dai
Not applicable
I've the same case to yours and do very things like you do, even change the SCSI card to another server, but the problem still present. At the end we think the tape driver must have trouble.So we told our tape driver provider and exchange a new one.It is very happy that the problem disappeared.

BUT another problem present!!!

That is when we restore large data, every time is failed!
It's funny every time is failed at 12.6GB.

Michael_Hunsake
Level 2
I'm in the same boat... We recently upgraded from 8.5 to 10.0 and have had nothing but problems. Very simple setup on our end: Windows 2003 Server and Compaq AIT 100 tape drive. No remote agents or anything fancy. We have a nightly job to backup everything on our web server but since going to 10.0, I had to have our networking guys add my server to their nightly backup job because I couldn't make anything work 100% of the time.

We rotate 15 tapes as we backup the server and since going to 10.0, the software has told me that over half of my tapes are bad and unrecognizable. I've tried reformatting, erasing, throwing them against the wall, and nothing helps.

I updated the firmware this morning and it did nothing. I'm using the Veritas driver on my tape drive and based on the last post, it sounds like I might try to go with the HP driver? It couldn't be that simple, could it?

Mike

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please check whether there are any event id 9 or 11 related to the device in the event viewer.

If yes please contact hardware manufacturer for more information on this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q154690

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Darren_Blacquie
Level 3
"Pass the Buck" to the hardware manufacturer, how would I guess, how convenient.

It's just so ironic or is it coincidence that after upgrade to 10d all my hardware falls apart yet worked perfectly fine before.

John_Schneider
Level 3
My opinion is that Veritas AKA Symantec should be ashamed of themselves. I bought over £1500 of product for 3 servers. Not one of the 3 servers has an IDR practice run that has worked yet.

Technical Support ?? not for £1500 apparantly.
Makes MIcrosoft look professional - no easy task.

If I had a choice I would burn it and use something else.

Forums ? how about them offering to fix the untested software they sell everyone with technical support!
PS Why should anyone have to pay $89 to talk to someone about something that SHOULD WORK when you buy it.

Was not £1500 enough ?

Andy_Garay
Not applicable
We are having the exact same issue. And, no, there are no event ID 9 or 11 messages.

Carl_Harrison
Level 3
yep having same issues,

so is there any way to escalate these issues, I should be able to get some sort of telephone support, we have only just bought the software and its still in config stage.

can I get a mod response to point me in the right direction please, I am on client side this afternoon in front of the server, if they need any info from me.

cheers

carl

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello Darren,
If the error occurs after the upgrade,it could be a compatibility issue with this version, please check the results with the OEM drivers.
Ensure that the RSM service is stopped and that RAID controller is not being used.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Howie_Goodson
Level 3
Hi Darren,
In response to backup jobs pulling from the wrong Media Sets; this is something they apparently incorporated into the software by design. It's baffling.

See this link for a workaround to that problem if you are using a tape library:
http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=57923&tstart=0

Darren_Blacquie
Level 3
Thanks I had to do that as well, kind of defeats the purpose of having a media set now doesn't it? But it don't matter now anyway.

And to answer previous post this has been done, Tape library is connected to a SCSI card, this card is used solely for the purpose of controlling the library. Our RAID cards are on totally differnet.

RSM is stopped and disabled. All our hardware is on your hardware compatibilty list.

I had to go out and purchase Brightstor which worked right out of the box. I have returned my software for refund and cancelled the premium suppport services which seem to be non-existant.

Ortho_Lawton
Level 5
BE 9 was the last good version that worked out of the box and gave no problems at all.

I'm persisting with BE 10.1 (at least until my maintenenace is up for renewal) and I've got most things to sort of work with a mixture of different version agents and backing up SQL 2005 .BAK files on my x64 servers, but I'm not exactly a happy bunny .....

Did all their good developers and helpdesk staff resign after BE 9 I wonder ?

Howie_Goodson
Level 3
> Did all their good developers and helpdesk staff resign after BE 9 I wonder ?

Unfortunately it appears that Symantec has become a victim of overseas outsourcing of development and customer service now. I wonder if they realize there is no more effecient way to frustrate their customers...

Overseas Outsourcing = Frustrated Customers
Frustrated Customers = Lost Revenue
Lost Revenue = Angry Shareholders
Angry Shareholders = Cost Cutting
Cost Cutting = More Overseas Outsourcing
ad infinitum...

Unfortunately, once a company starts down this path it's nearly impossible to turn back.

usman_habib
Not applicable
Hi Darren,
We have the same problem. This happened after I upgraded from 9 to 10 and to 10d. Also the medias are showing "end marker unreadable".
Hardware:
STK L20 w/ 2 x LTO2 (daisy-chained)
Adaptec 29160 LVD SCSI Controller
Dell Precision WS410MT (Backup Server)
Windows 2003 Server OS

1. Also tried/updated manufacturers and Veritas drivers for the tape devices to the latest.
2.Replaced the tape drives three times already.
3. Replaced the media's with a new one.Even the cleaning
4. Updated the library and tape drives firmware
5. Ran repair database on the BE software.

What I found is that the Adaptec 29160 is not supported on Windows 2003.

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/techspecs.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&prodkey=ASC-29160&cat=%2fProduct%2fASC-29160#suppOS

For the time being, the next plan is to replaced the controller but I could not find any Adaptec LVD that supports Windows 2003.Could any one help me with this one? Also, we are planning to reduce the length of the SCSI LVD connectivity from the controller to the library.

Thanks,
Alvin
STME

Darren_Blacquie
Level 3
I am using a 39160. But I find it odd your SCSI worked before upgrade?

I gave up on these guys and went to Brightstor which worked out of the box.

Alvin_Sagum
Level 3
I was the one who originally post this message. The below is posted using customers account (usman habib). Please reply to this message.Sorry..
Thanks,
Alvin

Hi Darren,
We have the same problem. This happened after I upgraded from 9 to 10 and to 10d. Also the medias are showing "end marker unreadable".
Hardware:
STK L20 w/ 2 x LTO2 (daisy-chained)
Adaptec 29160 LVD SCSI Controller
Dell Precision WS410MT (Backup Server)
Windows 2003 Server OS

1. Also tried/updated manufacturers and Veritas drivers for the tape devices to the latest.
2.Replaced the tape drives three times already.
3. Replaced the media's with a new one.Even the cleaning
4. Updated the library and tape drives firmware
5. Ran repair database on the BE software.

What I found is that the Adaptec 29160 is not supported on Windows 2003.

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/techspecs.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&prodkey=ASC-29160&cat=%2fProduct%2fASC-29160#suppOS

For the time being, the next plan is to replaced the controller but I could not find any Adaptec LVD that supports Windows 2003.Could any one help me with this one? Also, we are planning to reduce the length of the SCSI LVD connectivity from the controller to the library.

Thanks,
Alvin
STME

Brandon_Johnson
Level 3
We have had the same problems since updating to BE 10. Our tapes get marked as "Not Appendable (End Marker Unreadable)" and our backups fail. One would think that Veritas or Symantec should be aware of this issue and hopefully coming up with a patch, I hope. If not, BrightStor is looking very nice right now.