cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notification of ESXi 6 CBT Issue

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

This information is being posted to the forum for awareness as we believe that Tech Alerts can sometimes not reach the correct audience (i.e. the actual Backup Admins)

This post therefore directly relates to the information already posted publicly in article 000097972 ( http://www.veritas.com/docs/000097972 )

In practice what does the content of the above article mean to Backup Exec 15 customers (note Backup Exec 2014 and lower do not support ESXi 6) :

1) ESXi 6.0 Customers must patch their ESXi 6.0 hosts, reset CBT inside all VMs and run new full backups (in that order) as soon as possible

2) Veritas have adjusted the Backup Exec  compatibility list information to state that the patch is a requirement to be fully supported (the statement is located in a footnote linked to the entries for support of ESXi 6.0 and 6.0 update 1)

3) Whether any existing backup sets are actually affected is impossible to identify without testing a restore and trying to access the restored data. It should also be noted that in any given environment some backup sets may be affected and some may not as the condition is unpredictable.

4) As the issue is unpredictable, do not delete, expire or overwrite any existing backup sets early, let the existing sets expire or be overwritten on their usual backup retention as it is likely that a lot of existing sets will be valid and allow restores.

5) If a customer has a problem restoring from a Backup Set that was created from an unpatched ESXi 6.0 environment, Veritas will provide reasonable efforts to look into the condition, however the backup sets may be corrupt and unusable. As such customers reporting restore problems are expected to test backup and restore operations - from new backups run after the patch installation and CBT reset.

6) In some cases the condition might cause failures during the backups (especially when trying to mount VMDK content for GRT operations). As such any customers running ESXi 6.0 will also need to apply the patch before Veritas can provide further troubleshooting of VMware Agent backup problems. However such customers may also need to be check against the VCenter 6 server location (see separate issue documented in http://www.veritas.com/docs/000025161 )

7) Keep records detailing when the ESXi hosts were patched and when the CBT resets were performed, on each VM, as this will help when researching and troubleshooting restore issues.

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Colin,

I think that Lesley should pin this to the forum as it's going to get lost here.

Cheers,

Craig

Colin_Weaver

I have already asked someone internally to pin it as I don't have the ability

Colin_Weaver

The technote I linked above already states that a new full backup is required in the Action Required Section (of http://www.veritas.com/docs/000097972)