cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number of Remote Agents

thelaststop720
Level 4
Hi all,

We're attempting to move from disk backup to all tape backup with version 12, so here's my question. We are going to deploy Exchange 2007 on Server 2008, so we're obviously going to purchase an Exchange agent. Do I also need to purchase a regular remote agent in order to backup things such as system state and the other local drives? Or will just the Exchange agent allow me to do this? This also applies to other things such as Active Directory, Sharepoint, and SQL. Any information regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
4 REPLIES 4

RahulM
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
You just need to purchase the license for the various agents for the different kinds of resources.The remote agent license comes with the Agent/Option you are buying the license for.
For example if you want to backup Exchange ,you need to purchase the Exchange Agent license and that is sufficent to protect the entire exchange server including the different drives and system state.Same hold true for SQL,SPS etc.
The only agent that you install on a windows server is RAWS (Remote Agent for Windows Servers) with the exception of CPS,DLO.The license when added to the media server allows you to view the respective resource and hence protect it.
Now with BEWS 12 the AOFO and IDR license comes free and hence you do not need to purchase them.

thelaststop720
Level 4
Thanks for the information. I spoke with someone from tech support who confirmed everything you are saying. However, he said that for Active Directory, if I want to do the granular restore, I would need a regular remote license and the AD agent as well. Can anyone else confirm this for me? Greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

RahulM
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
The Symantec Backup Exec for Windows Servers Active Directory Recovery Agent
 is installed as a separate, add-on component of Backup Exec for Windows
Servers.
With ADRA you can use Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) to restore individual
Active Directory objects and attributes without performing an authoritative or
non-authoritative full restore. You can also restore individual Active Directory
Application Mode (ADAM) and Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services (AD
LDS) objects and attributes.
You just need to purchase the ADRA and that will come with a RAWS license.

Please read the administrator's guide for more information on the option.
There are special requirements for ADRA to work.
 Symantec Backup Exec (TM) 12 for Windows Servers Administrator's Guide (English)

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
EVERY application agent you can buy includes a remote agent license, so if you buy an Exchange agent license, you can protect the entire Exchange server. The same goes for SQL, Sharepoint, Active Directory and so on.