cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ODBC error when trying to restore from old tape

LATC
Level 0

I have Backup Exec 2014 with Service Pack 1 running on a Wndows 2008 R2 server.

I was requested to restore contents from an old tape, from 2007 (not sure which version of BE was used then).

I was able to inventory and catalog the tape. As I could not restore it, I followed suggestion from another post and duplicated the backup set to disk. I can see the backup set now on disk, and I'm able to go through the file list on it, but any time I click to restore, I get an error message:

ODBC access error. Possible lost connection to database on unsuccessful access to catalog index in the database.

I would not like to replace my current catalog folder with a brand new one, as suggested in some posts, to have it re-cataloged, as current backup catalogs work right.

Please help. It's so frustrating seeing the contents of the backup on the catalog, and not being able to restore it.

Thanks!

LATC

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Click on the BE icon - Configuration & Settings - BE Settings - Catalog and uncheck the option "use storage-based catalogs".

Recatalog the backup sets which are on disk now. Once the catalog completes, stop all BE services and browse to the BE install directory via cmd and run the following command

catrebuildindex -r

Once this completes, start all BE services and try to restore. If you still get the ODBC error, use the "Search" feature instead to search and restore for the needed file.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you have a spare machine, try loading a trial copy of BE 2014 and try again.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Click on the BE icon - Configuration & Settings - BE Settings - Catalog and uncheck the option "use storage-based catalogs".

Recatalog the backup sets which are on disk now. Once the catalog completes, stop all BE services and browse to the BE install directory via cmd and run the following command

catrebuildindex -r

Once this completes, start all BE services and try to restore. If you still get the ODBC error, use the "Search" feature instead to search and restore for the needed file.