cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OST Device Migration

MIS_NINJA
Level 2

I migrated my Backup Exec server to a new box, and an issue I'm having is with my OST device.  On the new box there is nothing under devices, however, when I go to create it I get an error that server name already exists.  I can see in the SQL database itself that the devices are listed in there.

I'm using a Quantum DXi with several storage server configured on it.  I did get one added by changing the name, but it doesn't show any backup sets or data that was on the Quantum storage server.  It's currently running a catalog but has been running for 17 hours now and not sure if it's going to yield any results.

Does anyone have experience with migrating servers while using something like a Quantum DXi?

Side note, migration was to same version of Backup Exec but on a server with a differnt hostname just to clarify.

2 REPLIES 2

MIS_NINJA
Level 2

For anyone in the same situation, here are the steps that must be taken.

1. Connect to SQL database and open table "dbo.device".  Note the DeviceID for each storage device.

2. Open "dbo.machinedevice" table and delete lines where the MachineID matches the DeviceID from step 1.

3. Go back to table "dbo.device" and delete the lines for the storage devices.

4. Restart BE services and re-create devices with the EXACT naming as they were previously.

5. Restart BE services after devices are added and then run an inventory.

All backup sets in the devices will show and function normally.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Editing the BEDB is not recommended.  A mistake may render it unusable.

It is better to delete all the devices from the BE console and then recreate them.