cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OST encrypted replication

kf2013
   VIP   

I have two Virtaul Tape libraries (Dell DR4100) which support deduplication and OST. I can connect use Backup Exec Open storage to connect these two OST storages. According to the OST documentation, the replication is done by the DMA (Data Management Application). I think it mean Backup Exec. The step is to create a duplicate job and select the destination OST storage. I am wonder how can i enable the encryption for replication. If I select software encryption in Backup Exec, then the hardware deduplication wont work. Any one have such experience?

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

We don't recommend using software encryption when backing up to a DeDupe device. If encryption is desired, then it should be enabled at the storage device itself.

kf2013
   VIP   

I know. The hardware provider of OST also don't recommend. BUt about the replication of OST, I found that HP Storeonce and Dell DR series also don't support the replication. It is achieve by Backup Software. I am wonder how can i set encryption in Backup Exec when perform the replication.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can't set the hardware encryption using BE. It is something that you must do on the appliance itself. BE will just send the backup data to the appliance. It is the appliance which does the dedup and encryption at the same time. It is the same thing if you are using the BE dedup folder. Encryption is enabled by setting a parameter on the dedup folder. The backup job itself does not do any encryption

teiva-boy
Level 6

Encryption is setup between the two replicating devices(if supported), and has nothing to do with backupexec.