cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd VSS errors on Windows Server 2008 R2

banjo
Level 4
Guys some of our Windows Server 2008 R2 servers are displaying weird VSS errors in the job reports and event logs on the systems them selves when getting backed up. We are running Backup Exec 12.5 with the latest hotfixes and I remember having to wait for a hotfix late last year to support Windows Server 2008 R2. From what I can tell the backups are fine, there is just alot of VSS noise in the event logs with eventID 8193 and eventID 6016?? The job report errors make refence to AOFO but we don't use this feature at all.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jack_Dobiash
Level 3

So I found out what the issue was, I needed to make sure the account I'm using for my BackpExec services was a full Administrator on the machine I was backing up.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

thegoolsby
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Only remote agent backups are supported in 12.5. If you have full blown Backup Exec 12.5 installed on your media server, then you'll need to uninstall it and instead install Backup Exec 2010 (an upgrade will not work).

Also, every component in 2008 is backed up using AOFO/VSS regardless of whether or not AOFO is enabled on the job.

banjo
Level 4
Yes I am not attempting to run Backup Exec on Windows Server 2008 R2, it runs on  64bit 2003 server, I am only attemtping to back up 2008 R2 servers. Our 2008 R1 servers don't contain any of these VSS errors, any thoughts?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Is your Server 2008 R2, 32-bits or 64-bits?

banjo
Level 4
R2 is only 64bit

Jack_Dobiash
Level 3
I too am having those same errors when backing up a 2008 R2 server (many vss 8193 and 6016 events).    The backups seems to go fine but I would like to know why all those errors are occuring.   I am running BackupExec 2010.  Thanks!

Jack_Dobiash
Level 3

So I found out what the issue was, I needed to make sure the account I'm using for my BackpExec services was a full Administrator on the machine I was backing up.

banjo
Level 4
Ok, that might work for me as well, I have only been using an account that is a local member of the "Backup Operators" group, perhaps the security rights are not enough for VSS to behave properly? I will test this out.

Jack_Dobiash
Level 3
I was doing the same thing,  using just the "Backup Operators".  It appears to be enough to get the job done it just causes all of those errors in the event logs.  I think Symantec's stance with all of their new versions of BackupExec is to have the account you're using have Administrative privilages on the machines it's backing up.  I know in order to fully take advantage of the Hyper-V and Active Directory options this is the case as well.

banjo
Level 4
Excellent, and I have just proven this is the case with a successfull backup of a 2008 R2 server with the backup service account a member of local administrators, no VSS noise in the logs!