cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off-host backup error

AlexRoom
Level 3

I try to perform off-host backup Hyper-V cluster and got error.

System spec.:4 nodes Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V, HP MSA 2040 iSCSI SAN.

Installed latest 3.1.0.40 HP MSA2040 VSS and VDS to BE server and Hyper-V nodes.

ADBO installed.

After job started volume snapshot at MSA2040 is creating, spliting and mounting to HV node and BE. After occurred error:

The network connection failed during the snapshot. Check the network, and then run the job again.
V-79-57344-34109 - ADBO: One or more of the volume snapshots could not be transported to the Backup Exec server. The selection that failed was VRTSRV::\\MSK-Hyper-V.msk.uac-gp.ru\Hyper-V?HA?VM\msk-vm-sp-test.  Manual resynchronization of the volumes might be required.

V-79-57344-34108 - An unexpected error occurred when cleaning up snapshot volumes. Confirm that all snapped volumes are correctly resynchronized with the original volumes.

Event log BE error:

A process crash has been detected.

Faulting application: beremote.exe 14.1.1786.1068
Faulting module: ndmpsrvr.dll 14.1.1786.1059
Fault offset           0x31e8d9
Exception code         0xc0000005.
Faulting application name: beremote.exe, version: 14.1.1786.1068, time stamp: 0x54458451
Faulting module name: ndmpsrvr.dll, version: 14.1.1786.1059, time stamp: 0x540f32a7
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000031e8d9
Faulting process id: 0x2a3c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d009b810f23ceb
Faulting application path: D:\Symantec Backup Exec\beremote.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Symantec Backup Exec\ndmpsrvr.dll
Report Id: 58f7cea1-7611-11e4-80dc-38eaa7149c70
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 
Backup Exec Alert: Job Completed with Exceptions
(Server: "MSK-SA-BACKUP") (Job: "MSK-Hyper-V.msk.uac-gp.ru Backup 00002-Full") The job completed successfully.  However, the following conditions were encountered:

A snapshot operation required by this job was unsuccessful. Check the job log and the Windows Event Viewer for additional information.

For more information, click the following link: 
http://entced.symantec.com/entt?product=BE&module=eng-event&error=V-379-57755&build=retail&version=14.1.1786.1059&language=EN&os=Windows_V-6.2.9200_SP-0.0_PL-0x2_SU-0x110_PT-0x3

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I am not sure Off-host supports Hyper-V Agent backups - it definitely did not with older versions of Backup Exec and I do not believe this status has changed.

EDIT: If you check the admin guide for information against Off-Host it only discusses VSS operations against NTFS (in other words standard files and folders), SQL and Exchange. Hyper-V is not mentioned (Note VMware does not need offhost as it has SAN Transport so would not need a mention anyway)

This does indicate that a Hyper-V agent backup (where the VHD files of the VMs are held in hardware that would usually support Off-host) would not appear to be supported.

What would be supported, for a traditional Remote agent backup with Off-host enabled, would be remote agent backups of the VMs where a volume is presented, possibly via iSCSI, into the VM that is not a VHD but instead is held on off-host supported disk storage and the volume contains file system data, SQL data or Exchange data.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Check the links below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH175014

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH64496 (While for Dell Equallogic, check to see if this isn't also resolved by making these changes on the MSA)

Also make sure the MSA2040 is on the BE HCL...

Thanks!

AlexRoom
Level 3

I dont use User Shares. For a test i just try backup Hyper-V VM even without GRT.

For authentication i'm using CHAP. But snapshot is mounted fine so CHAP work correct.

MSA2040 is fully supported by HCL.

Colin_Weaver

I am not sure Off-host supports Hyper-V Agent backups - it definitely did not with older versions of Backup Exec and I do not believe this status has changed.

EDIT: If you check the admin guide for information against Off-Host it only discusses VSS operations against NTFS (in other words standard files and folders), SQL and Exchange. Hyper-V is not mentioned (Note VMware does not need offhost as it has SAN Transport so would not need a mention anyway)

This does indicate that a Hyper-V agent backup (where the VHD files of the VMs are held in hardware that would usually support Off-host) would not appear to be supported.

What would be supported, for a traditional Remote agent backup with Off-host enabled, would be remote agent backups of the VMs where a volume is presented, possibly via iSCSI, into the VM that is not a VHD but instead is held on off-host supported disk storage and the volume contains file system data, SQL data or Exchange data.

AlexRoom
Level 3

In admin guide i found requirements about MSCS

When you run an off-host backup that uses a VSS hardware provider in a
Microsoft Cluster (MSCS) environment, the Backup Exec server and the remote
computer must not be in the same cluster group. The cluster applications cannot
support the devices’ logical unit numbers (LUNs) that have duplicate signatures
and partition layouts. The snapshots containing the LUNs must be transported
to a host computer that is outside the cluster.

My BE server is standalone. VM added in MSCS as clustered application.

Colin_Weaver

Irrespective of the information you quoted, we do not state anywhere that Virtual Machines are supported by Off-Host. 

We do clearly state the NTFS (File system), SQL and Exchange are supported by off-host.

As such you seem to be trying to get something to work that Backup Exec is not currently designed to handle.