cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offline files & Backup Exec

MrKipling
Not applicable

Hi all,

I currently have a file archiving solution moving all files on a large share to cheap disk if they havent been modified for over a year.  This then leaves a "stub" behind of a few kilobytes pointing back to the archived file.  The problem I have is that when BackupExec 11d runs it touches these files and causes a recall from the archive server.  So every day I archive and save disk and all of the other great stuff then BAckupexec backs up and causes it all to come back in its wake.

In other backup solutions there are options like "Skip or Ignore Offline or Archived files" - which doesn't result in a recall. 

Can anyone help out, is there a setting Im missing or is it available in newer versions?

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE is unaware of what your stubs are for so they are treated like any other files.

You can try to back them up using the modified time method and see whether that works.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This method is available (if use EV as the archiving solution) - www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH70592

I am guessing there is a similar option to put the file archiving solution which you use in a backup mode.